The test consists of 5 equally weighted parts:
- Technique: Play all major and minor scales, the chromatic scale, and all triad arpeggios (4 octaves)
- Transposition: At sight, transpose a hymn such as “America”
- Harmonization: Provide a block chord accompaniment for the melody of a well-known piece (folk song or hymn such as “America”). No roman numerals or chord symbols will be given.
- Accompaniment: Add accompaniment to a piece by pattern (Alberti bass, waltz bass, or arpeggiated bass). Roman numerals or chord symbols will be given.
- Repertoire: Play from memory a solo work from the end of Lancaster’s “Group Piano for Adults, Level 2” textbook (or an equivalent piece that has been approved in advance of the exam).
The exam will be scored by at least two Lone Star College-Montgomery music faculty.