Meet the Gay-Straight Alliance Officers
Erika Payne, President
Hometown: Humble, TX
- Why did you join this organization? I joined to help me meet new people who share similar beliefs and interests as me.
- What are your personal goals for the semester? I want to do the best I can academically and help spread the word of Love is Love.
- What are your goals for the organization? I hope we help others feel more comfortable with themselves and help others better understand what GSA is all about.
- What are your career interests? I hope to find myself working in a medical/crime lab.
- What are your hobbies outside of school? I enjoy playing video/computer games, looking up anything that's science, arts and crafts, and rocking out to my favorite band Blue October.
Erika was born in Farmington Hills, Michigan on January 28, 1985. When she was six years old, her parents split up. Erika moved with her mother and brother to Detroit, MI where she lived until her mother’s death in March 2004. In 2006 she moved to Texas to gain a fresh start at life. She worked as a nanny until she found a job at The Home Depot in 2011. In 2012 her life changed for the better. She started school at LSC-Kingwood and meet her soul mate while working at Home Depot. Erika has a few years left in school and plans to move to Austin in the future.
"Haters only hate the things they cannot have and the people they cannot be."-author unknown
Casey Meaux, Treasurer
Major: Web Design
Hometown: Humble, TX
- Why did you join this organization? I was majorly involved in the GSA we had at my high school, Atascocita HS, and I wanted to continue to be a part of helping LGBT students feel included in an attempt to diminish the suicide rate among LGBT individuals. I also wanted to stop the seemingly perpetual hatred and fight against people who refuse to accept people who are not heterosexual and/or cisgender.
- What are your personal goals for the semester? I want to help the GSA to continue to fight hate and promote acceptance among the student body.
- What are your goals for the organization? I hope to give visibility to the LGBTQ students at Lone Star Kingwood in order to let them know that they are not alone here on campus.
- What are your career interests? I would pursue anything with computers.
- What are your hobbies outside of school? I enjoy video games, computer games, Tumblr, Facebook, and shopping.
Casey has always been an A/B Honor Roll student. He graduated from Atascocita High School in the top 5 percent of his class. He currently has a 4.0 GPA and plans to keep it that way. The Fall 2014 semester is Casey's 5th semester here at Lone Star College- Kingwood. He will have earned his Web Design Certificate after this semester and will complete his Associate of Applied Science Degree in Web Design in the Spring 2015 semester.
“The GSA is always open to anyone who wants to join, whether you're LGBTQ or not. We have a lot of fun with our group at every event. Every member of GSA also gets to take part and march in the Houston Pride parade in June. We also offer an ear to anyone who needs to talk about anything, including but not limited to coming out, etc.” –Casey Meaux
Jae-Alise Monette, Secretary
Hometown: Humble, TX
- Why did you join this organization? I believe in equal rights and I thought this club would actually help out the community and raise awareness. I love how much people can truly express themselves in this club.
- What are your personal goals for the semester? I hope to achieve great grades in my classes. Also, I hope to still not miss any days at work due to my condition. Lastly, I want to get fit and get my health up.
- What are your goals for the organization? I plan to help organize events and help the other officers achieve their potential. I also hope to do more for the cause and still manage to excel in my classes, all while still working. I know I can achieve things I set my mind to and hope to make the GSA known and help bring in more people and more awareness.
- What are your career interests? I plan to open my own store.
- What are your hobbies outside of school? I guess my job is one of my hobbies because I love my job. I work with horses, so it relaxes me. Also, my family rescues and fosters dogs (we're at our max) and I'm currently trying to domesticate the wild cats in my neighborhood so we can catch, spay/neuter, and find forever loving homes for them. Also, I absolutely LOVE fishing.
Jae-Alise is a hard working student who is going to major in Business so she can one day open her own store. Even with a condition that should drag her down she thrives to better life for herself and others. She is a great listener and is usually a go-to-person when her friends need to vent or to get advice. She can be the tough-love person. It helps more to not sugarcoat so people can see what they can achieve better. She is strong-willed and can often be spontaneous. However, if she has a set plan she likes to stick to it. She can be an open book, if you ever want to know more you can ask her directly and she will always answer honestly.
“I believe the GSA is an amazing club to bring awareness. You can be who you truly are. The amount of understanding is off the charts- we do not judge. Together we raise money and further educate ourselves to help out organizations and people struggling with acceptance. We bring together gay, straight, transgender, lesbian, bisexual, everyone. We are all equal. LOVE HAS NO GENDER :)”–Jae-Alise Monette