Phi Theta Kappa
Phi Theta Kappa (PTK), the World’s Preeminent Honor Society of the Two Year College
“The purpose of Phi Theta Kappa shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship among two-year college students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa shall provide opportunity for the development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.”
Phi Theta Kappa's mission is two-fold: (1) recognize and encourage the academic achievement of two-year college students and (2) provide opportunities for individual growth and development through participation in honors, leadership, service and fellowship programming.
The local chapter at LSC-CyFair, Beta Lambda Mu, is an active part of the campus community. We regularly hold chapter meetings, sponsor events on campus, perform community service and travel to leadership development opportunities. Click here for a list of our activities and awards in the Fall 2014 semester!
International (Full) Member
- You must have completed at least 12 hours of coursework that may be applied to an associate degree (part-time students may be eligible)
- You must have a grade point average of 3.5
- You must receive an invitation to membership from Beta Lambda Mu
- We welcome EVERYONE to participate in our events, service and meetings! There is no minimum GPA or credit hours, so come on! We’d love to see you.
Have you been invited to join Phi Theta Kappa?
Congratulations on your academic achievement! The Beta Lambda Mu Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa extends to an invitation to accept membership in Phi Theta Kappa, the International Honor Society of the Two-Year College to a highly selective group of students every semester. Invitation is an honor.
You Have Earned Your Membership!
Membership eligibility is based on the completion of 12 credit hours and an outstanding GPA of 3.5 or higher; therefore, membership is a special honor afforded to a small group of outstanding students.
How To Join
- After you receive your invitation letter, contact the PTK advisors to obtain your personal temporary pass code.
- Use the temporary pass code to complete an Application for Membership on the Phi Theta Kappa web site at http://www.ptk.org/?q=become-a-member. You will need:
- Your temporary pass code
- A credit/debit card to pay your one-time membership fee
- You have until the last day of the academic term (the last day of finals) to accept your membership. After this date your pass code will expire.
Didn’t get an invitation this semester? If you think this is an error, contact us! If you're not eligible this semester, we will send invitations about a month after the first day of classes in the Fall and Spring semesters.
Phi Theta Kappa is more than just a line on your resume! It is the opportunity to get involved in your community and to make a difference. We have regular member meetings which are open to everyone. Come, ask us what makes Phi Theta Kappa special, and get involved!
When do Invitations get sent?
We will send invitations about a month after the first day of classes in the Fall and Spring semesters. We send your invitation through
- “snail” mail to the mailing address on file with the college
- To your Lonestar email address
Why Join Phi Theta Kappa?
- $37 million in transfer scholarship to Phi Theta Kappa members by more than 700 four-year college and universities
- CollegeFish.org free enrollment – Research colleges, learn about transfer scholarship, manage important transfer dates and deadlines and communicate with four-year college representatives to ensure a smooth transfer to a four-year college
- Membership Credentials – Golden Key Membership Pin, Membership Certificate and Membership ID Card
- Phi Theta Kappa Graduation Regalia and Gold Diploma Seal
- Transcript Notation
- Letter of Recommendation
- Your volunteer hours with us will be kept in our records and we will provide that information to any institution of your choice
Explore these exclusive benefits and more at http://ptk.org/, Phi Theta Kappa's international website.
Official Website: www.ptk.org
Daniel Villanueva, Jr.
Lone Star College-CyFair
Director of Enrollment Management