Free Speech Areas
In December 2008, the Lone Star College System Board of Trustees created a policy (LSCS Board Policy Section II.D.1.09 through D.1.12) to provide free speech areas at its campus locations. The purpose of this policy is to standardize the time, location and manner restrictions concerning acts of expression and dissent while protecting the rights of freedom of speech, petition and peaceful assembly as set forth in the U.S. Constitution.
LSC will provide two (2) Free Speech Areas at each LSC location with the exception of the Lone Star College System Office and the LSC Campus College Centers which will have (1) Free Speech Area.
Campus and Center Free Speech Areas
Fountain Lake between the Technical Center and Center for the Arts
The Big Quad adjacent to the Performing Arts Center
The Small Quad adjacent to the CLA building
Patio at rear of building
Gazebo area in front of the Commons Building (Bldg. A)
Patio area on the east side of the center
In front of the Fine Arts Building to the right of the round planter, but left of the stairs.
The fountain courtyard between Winship Building and Student Center Building.
Between the building and the parking lot near the back entrance.
LSC-North Harris Health Professions Building
Front of the building facing Peakwood road, where the round tables are located.
Near the side entrance, facing the pond,
The bridge area in the courtyard
The southwest entrance
Indoor space at the bridge way junction between buildings 11, 12 & 13
How to use LSC Free Speech Areas:
The Free Speech Area has to be reserved in advance in accordance with this Policy Procedure.
- Request the use of the Free Speech Area through the respective Office of Vice President of Student Services at each of the LSC College locations. At the LSC System Office and LSCS Center locations, the requests should be made to the respective Administrator in Charge such as Office of the LSCS Senior Vice Chancellor or College Center Dean, Director or other College Center Administrator in Charge. Reservations are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The requesting group or individual must submit an attached and completed “Application for Use of Free Speech Area[VRB1] ” Form to the Office of Vice President of Student Services or College Center Administrator in Charge at least seven (7) business days in advance of the proposed Free Speech activity.
- The LSC Administrative Office-President will approve or deny the proposed Free Speech activity within four (4) business days of receiving the Form.
- The LSC Campus President will make the final determination to approve or deny the proposed activity.
The decision whether to confirm a reservation request will be based on proper and timely completion of the Form and availability of space. This decision will be based only on the foregoing criteria, and in no circumstances will any decision be based on the content or viewpoint of the Free Speech activity.
The LSC Administrative Office may require the Free Speech activity to be rescheduled or be denied in total if:
- The anticipated or actual number of persons attending the event exceeds a reasonable capacity in relation to the area used would be disruptive to the normal operations and/or educational mission of the System; or
- The activity potentially conflicts with previously scheduled activities and events.
The LSC Administrative Office may also accelerate the reservation process where there are time-sensitive issues associated with the event or other extenuating factors that support such acceleration.
The Campus President may cancel a free speech activity that:
- Attempts to create a climate of fear or intimidation.
- Is disruptive to the normal operations of the System including but not limited to classes, the library, or business operations of the college, or invade the rights of others.
- Is a disruption to the normal operations of the college, interference with an activity or event, threats, implied threats, physical intimidation, or any form of violent behavior.