LSC-Tomball Honors by Contract
An Honors Contract is a way for students to engage in interesting research with the help and guidance of a faculty mentor. Students are able to pursue a topic of their interest in a variety of academic fields. The product of this research will be a formal essay and a public presentation of the findings on Honors Day. Students with an especially strong presentation may be chosen to present their work at a local or regional conference. Such formal presentations greatly strengthen a student's resume. Once the contract has been fulfilled, the Honors College office will add honors designation to the appropriate course on the student's transcript. (A final grade of A or B in the course is required for honors designation.)
Students may earn one of three designations on their transcript that will be recognized at graduation.
Honors in Research - at least nine contract credit hours
High Honors in Research - at lest fifteen contract credit hours
Highest Honors in Research - at least twenty-one contract credit hours
Requirements are fairly simple. A student must have completed at least nine college level credit hours with a grade point average of 3.25 or higher, and must currently be enrolled in, or must have completed within the last year, a course in the discipline within which the research falls.
The steps from there are---
1. Submit an Honors College application - Click here
2. Contact an Honors contract Mentor from the list below.
3. Once the mentor agrees, work with him or her to get the proposal ready. This MUST be completed BEFORE the end of the fourth week of the semester. That is September 19, 2014.
4. Complete and submit the online Honors Contract with the attached proposal no later than September 19, 2014 Click here
*** The online contract requires that you submit a signature page. Please come by the Honors College office (S257) to pick up a hard copy or ask Ms. Hubbard to email one to you.***
5. Be sure to fulfill all the contract requirements, including regular meetings with the mentor, submitting the essay on time and presenting the work on Honors Day. Specific dates will be emailed to all contract students.
6. Attend an Honors Contract Workshop. The dates and times will be announced later through MyLonestar email.
If you have any questions, please contact the Honors College office.
Honors Contract Mentors Fall 2014
Biology Professor Lowery W204F (281)357-3743 Marvin.B.Lowery@lonestar.edu
Biology Dr. Simcik E271C (281)351-3308 William.J.Simcik@lonestar.edu
Business Professor Burns E211D (281)401-1842 John.A.Burns@lonestar.edu
Chemistry Dr. Goldknopf W204B (281)401-1827 Ira.Goldknopf@lonestar.edu
Economics Professor Davia S257H (281)357-3699 Renato.L.Davia@lonestar.edu
English Dr. Piercy S153J (281)401-7814 Van.A.Piercy@lonestar.edu
Geology Professor Bradford N210L (281)351-3317 christine.D.Bradford@lonestar.edu
Government Dr. Haysley S153S (281)357-3602 Virginia.M.Haysley@lonestar.edu
History Professor Fox N210B (281)351-3326 Clifton.R.Fox@lonestar.edu
History Dr. Hayward E211J (281)357-3653 Barbara.J.Hayward@lonestar.edu
Mathematics Professor Hammerbacher N109G (281)357-3679 Mark.F.Hammerbacher@lonestar.edu
Music Dr. Morales C219 (281)401-1845 Lisa.R.Morales@lonestar.edu
Occupational Therapy Dr. Ruppert HSB111M (281)826-5394 firstname.lastname@example.org
Philosophy Dr. Capistran S153F (281)357-3612 Michael.D.Capistran@lonestar.edu
Sociology Professor Filoteo S204D (281)357-3683 Janie.Filoteo@lonestar.edu
Speech Professor Friesen E213L (281)401-1807 Clark.W.Friesen@lonestar.edu