Placement Testing Procedures
Do you already know a language, and want to get college credit for it? Take a language placement test! Just follow these procedures:
- Go to the Testing Center (CASA 104) and fill out a PLA form.
- Pay your placement test fee of $25 to the business office and bring receipt back to the Testing Center.
- Take test.
- Return to the Testing Center after 3 days to pick up your score.
- Bring a copy of your score to registration and register for class (You will have to register in person since the system does not recognize that you bypass the pre-requisites).
NOTE: Are you a Heritage Spanish speaker? Consider these questions:
- Do you speak Spanish at home?
- Do your parents or siblings speak Spanish at home?
- Do you understand Spanish when it is spoken to you?
If you answered "Yes" to one or more of the above questions, you should take the Spanish Heritage Language placement test, to be properly placed.
AVANT Placement Levels
|AVANT score||Class Placement|
|0 - 2.1||1411|
|2.2 - 3.5||1412|
|3.6 - 5.1||2311 or 2313
(Students who are heritage or native speakers of Spanish should take SPAN 2313).
|5.2 - 6.0||2312 or 2315
(Students who are heritage or native speakers of Spanish should take SPAN 2315.)
In the event that you take the placement test too close to the start of the semester, the testing center may be able to work with administration to get you placed into a class. However, it is recommended that you do not wait until the last minute.
The placement test score is good for up to 2 years. If you decide that you cannot take a class in the semester after you took the test, keep a copy of your placement test score so that you may use it to register for class another semester. This score can also be printed again, but you will have to return to the testing center to get the copy.