Faculty-Student Engagement Funds
Student Life at LSC-North Harris remains committed to developing partnerships with faculty to increase student engagement and enhance student learning. To that end, the Student Activities Fee Allocations Committee, consisting of five students and four faculty/staff, has earmarked $10,000 for the upcoming academic year for faculty-led initiatives that will create opportunities for students to engage with faculty and other students outside of the classroom.
- Initiatives must serve students at Lone Star College-North Harris, Greenspoint Center, Victory Center, CHI School of Cosmetology, and/or Health Professions Building.
- Requests must be submitted by faculty.
- Initiatives must build on what students are learning in the classroom, and should be designed to enrich their experience and deepen their understanding of course content.
- Initiatives must be out-of-class experiences, such as guest speakers, service learning projects, workshops, or field trips. Don't let this list limit your thinking. If you have an idea for an initiative not relating to these, you can still submit it for consideration.
- Initiatives must be new to the campus. This fund is not to be used to free up funds in a department currently being used for existing programs, but rather is for new initiatives.
- Initiatives can fund items such as travel, speaker fees, food/drinks, registration fees, publicity, etc. Funds cannot be used for equipment, supplies/materials for a department, or promotional items. This is NOT an exhaustive list of what funds can and cannot be used for. Funding will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Initiatives must be for enhancement of credit programs/courses.
- Preference may be given to initiatives that can be open for, and promoted to, any student who has an interest in participating.
- Preference may be given to initiatives which tie into coursework (reflective paper, presentation, project, etc.).
- To be considered for funding, proposal forms must be submitted no later than 4:00pm on Friday, May 15, 2015. The form can be found here.
- The proposal must be fully completed, following the requested format.
- The Allocations Committee will screen all proposals. After the initial screening, individuals with proposals still under consideration will be invited to a meeting of the Allocations Committee to briefly present their proposal and answer any questions from the committee.
- Individuals selected to receive funds will be notified via email, and planning for the initiative may commence. There will be no transfer of funds from Student Life to any other department. Instead, the fund recipient(s) will work with Student Life personnel to make arrangements, and Student Life will make any purchases or handle any contracts. If student travel is involved, Student Life will also assist to ensure that the proper documentation is completed.
- Student Life reserves the right to pull funds from the initiative and/or decline to authorize the use of funds if appropriate timelines are not met, or if any expenses fall outside the boundaries of appropriate usage of Student Activities Fees. The Student Life stands ready to support fund recipients in navigating the process so that the initiative can be successful.
If you have any questions about this program or the process, please email Dan.Mitsven@LoneStar.edu.