Health & Science CLASS Initiative
CLASS initiatives at Lone Star College-Tomball Health and Science
Increase awareness of opportunities for personal and professional success within Health and Science professions.
Outreach and recruitment efforts will focus on increasing the number of students who pursue and graduate from a Heath and Science related major.
- According to the U.S. Department of Labor Statistics, healthcare occupations and industries are expected to have the fastest employment growth and to add the most jobsbetween 2014–2024.
- Lone Star College-Tomball offers over 10 different Health and Science career opportunities.
Offer specialized curriculum to enhance students first year experience.
A thematic EDUC 1300-First Year Experience course will be offered to students who are interested in
pursuing a Health and Science degree. Students will participate in activities that promote effective learning strategies, personal and professional growth within Health and Science professions.
Student will develop an academic and professional success plan by completing specialized assignments such as:
- Health and Science Career Exploration Project
- Health and Science Career Goal Setting
Facilitate academic success through student-centered course support.
Providing academic resources is crucial as students make progress towards their academic goals. A few
examples of resources offered at CLASS are:
- Tutoring services located within the Center dedicated to assisting students in developmental reading, writing, and math.
- Host Committed to My Success workshops which focus on academic and professional success.
Empower students to be self-motivated inside and outside the classroom.
Why do some students graduate and others drop out? Lone Star College-Tomball has shown that the infusion of Grit and Growth Mindset in the classroom is key to student success.
What is Grit and Growth Mindset?
- Grit is the tendency to sustain interest in and effort toward long term goals*. Additionally Grit takes into consideration the quality of effort being used to achieve one’s most worthy goal*.
- Students with a growth mindset believe that their most basic abilities can be developed through dedication and hard work.
Enhance students experience by providing professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
Lone Star College-Tomball believes that we are Better Together and together we can better support students to reach their most worthy educational goal. Professional development opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- Exploring innovative teaching practices
- Identifying strategies to better support at risk students
Engage and support students through innovative technology resources.
The Technology-Enhanced Multidisciplinary Academic Support Collaboration (iMASC) initiative is a collection of innovative technology resources students will be able to utilize to enhance their academic assignments or career readiness. A few examples include:
- One Button Studio
- Sound Booth
- Video Recording and Editing Tools
CLASS is the Center for Leadership, Academic and Student Success
Funded by a Title V Grant from the U.S. Department of Education