Spring 2018 Important Dates
- Tuesday, January 16, 2018 - Spring 2018 Classes Begin
- Monday, January 29, 2018 - Official Day (see the attachment on how to verify your official day roster).
- March 12 - 18 - Spring Break
- March 30 - April 1 - Spring Holiday
- April 6, 2018 - Last day to drop and receive a "W"
- May 7 - 13 - Final Exams
Dual Credit Connection - Monthly Newsletters
Spring 2018 Newsletters
- January 2018
- February 2018
- March 2018
- April 2018
- May 2018
Fall 2017 Newsletters
Starting the Semester
Here are a few videos to help you prepare for the beginning of any semester.
Job Aids to get you through the semester
As a dual credit instructor for Lone Star College, you are responsible for several administrative tasks. These tasks are essential to the accreditation of Lone Star College System. The essential administrative tasks are housed in iStar/MyLoneStar. Below you will find a list of job aids for the most common administrative tasks. If you are using our Learning Management System, D2L/Brightspace, there are also job aids available for how to use this system.
iStar Job Aids
D2L (Brightspace) Job Aids
|Entering Final Grades in Grade Roster|
|Verifying Official Day Roll|
|View and Print Class Roster|
- For a complete list of all iStar Job aids, log in to myLonestar. Go to the Faculty Tab. Scroll down until you see Faculty Quick Links and then click on Faculty Job Aids.
- For a complete list of D2L Brightspace Job Aids, and walk-through videos, visit the Virtual Teaching Assistance Center
A few more Job Aids
- Employee email setup for IOS devices
- Office 365 download instructions
- Setting up alerts for inactive online students: Please note: The alerts will be activated on the day you set them up. So, do not set these up prior to the first day of the semester, or your students will begin receiving alerts.
D2L Faculty Support Group
D2L Brightspace is the Learning Management System used by Lone Star College. All of our dual credit faculty and students have access to D2L Brightspace. Here are just a few things you can do with this LMS:
- Create an easy-to-export gradebook. Also, students can access and keep track of their grades.
- Create dropboxes for students to submit assignments electronically.
- Use turnitin.com for all work submitted to a dropbox.
- Upload all course materials so that students can review or prepare for class.
For a complete list of job aids and faculty who can assist during Fall 2017, click here.
LSC Library Resources
Did you know that all of your dual credit students have access to LSC Library Resources? Dual Credit students can request a library card, learn about academic integrity, find course materials on reserve, search the library catalog, request books, find articles in research databases, and explore research guides.
We know that many Dual Credit instructors will use the library for research. While students are able to use the library databases, they will have to login using the barcode on the back of their LSC student ID/library card. If students do not have an ID, they can request a barcode online by going to this site. Students will receive their barcodes in their myLonestar email; however, if students do not check their MyLonestar email, they can forward the myLonestar emails to their personal email addresses by following these simple steps.
Instructions for forwarding MyLonestar email to personal email address.
- Log into your myLonestar account.
- Check the top left to make sure you're on your student tab.
NOTE: If you are only a student you will not have tabs. The current page will be your student page.
- Scroll down to the Quicklinks.
- Choose Student email (second to the last option).
- A new page titled Outlook Web App will populate.
- Click on the wheel next to your name.
- Select Options.
- Select Connected accounts.
- Under the forwarding prompt, enter the email address you wish your student emails to be forwarded.
- Click Start forwarding. From this point forward you should receive all your student emails in the account you provided.
Learn With Latoya
Learn with Latoya is a website that provides various resources and tools for educators. Ideas on how to use grit in the classroom, how to start/end class, and how to infuse technology in the classroom are on this site. Instructors can also learn about alternatives to lecturing and assessment strategies.
Center for Organizational and Teaching Excellence (COTE)
COTE supportS the Lone Star College-Tomball vision by providing responsive, innovative, and collaborative learning opportunities and resources that prepare our faculty and staff for a lifetime of learning and change.
To learn about upcoming professional development opportunities, visit the COTE website.
LSC-Tomball's department of Multimedia Services provides innovative technical support to faculty members wishing to enhance the dynamic nature of their instruction. Through Multimedia Services, faculty can get assistance with creating digital media content in the the IMAC studio, Soundbooth, and One Button Studio. This department also provides assistance with video recording, audio and voice-over, podcasting, screen-casting, and video captioning. Click here to learn about Multimedia Services.
Best Practices for Teaching Online
Our Best Practices in Online teaching is a practical handbook for anyone teaching online or hybrid classes. The handbook contains information on setting up your class, communication, tips & tricks and much more. Advice from experienced instructors is used throughout to provide innovative ideas and to help you learn from their depth of experience. To access the online handbook, click here.