Lone Star College Promise FAQs
What does the scholarship cover?
The Lone Star Promise Scholarship provides last-dollar for students that demonstrate financial need after all federal grant and scholarship awards are used to pay the balance 100% of tuition and mandatory fees for one associate degree. The scholarship does not cover books. Awards are contingent on the availability of funds, it is not refundable.
How do I qualify for the scholarship?
- Be a Texas resident and be an in-district student
- Must be a graduate of an eligible public or private high school, home school program or GED program
- Comply with United States Selected Service System requirements for registration. If such requirements are applicable to the student.
- Not be in default on federal Title IV or Texas educational loan and not owe a refund on federal Title IV or a Texas student financial aid program.
- Enrolled in coursework leading to a first associate degree.
- Meet financial aid eligibility requirements.
How do I apply?
- Apply for the Promise Scholarship
- Complete the LSC admissions process
- Complete the FAFSA
- High school transcript should have a minimum 2.3 cumulative GPA. GED students should submit GED scores.
- Full-time students should enroll in a minumum of 12 credit hours.
- Participate in a minimum of 15 hours of community service. A transcript hold will be placed on the students account until the service hours are completed.
Can I take out federal loans?
Yes, however, it may reduce the amount of loans you are qualified to receive. Please contact a campus FA specialist/Director.
Does the scholarship cover a third attempt at the same course?
No, the Promise Scholarship will not pay for any class taken for the third time. For more information please refer to the Repeat Course Policy at: http://www.lonestar.edu/2128.htm.
Can I accept other scholarships?
Yes, depending on the amount of scholarship it may reduce or remove the Promise Scholarship altogether. Please contact a campus FA specialist/Director.
How can I check the status of my PROMISE application?
Contact the Financial Aid Office at 281.290.2700.
How do I know if my application was received?
Once your application is received an email will be sent to you at the email address you supplied. All other notifications will be sent to your office Lone Star College email.
When will I be notified of my PROMISE Scholarship application status?
Throughout the process you will be notified via your official Lone Star College email of your status. You will receive a status update email, an approval or denial email and an email if any revisions were made.
How much is the PROMISE Scholarship award?
Varies depending on coursework and financial need.
How do I receive my PROMISE Scholarship?
Once verified your student account will receive credit. The scholarship is initially awarded approximately 45 days prior to the start of the semester. The actual disbursement is about 21 days after the start of the semester if a mandatory promise scholarship orientation session was attended. There are eight mandatory promise orientation options for the Spring 2019 that are scheduled for January 9-10. An email that includes the mandatory orientation information will be sent to recipients once the initial award is complete.
Who should I contact if I have additional questions?
Financial Aid Office at 281.290.2700, by email LSC-Promise@lonestar.edu or contact a campus FA specialist/Director.
What are the student responsibilities for accepting and maintaining the Promise Scholarship award?
It cannot be emphasized enough that each phase of the Promise will require students to complete their requirements, and failure to do so will result in the loss of the Scholarship.
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 semester and cumulative GPA.
- Complete at least 80 percent of enrolled credit classes each semester.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Full-time students should enroll in a minimum of 12 credit hours.
- Participate in a minimum of 15 hours of community service every semester. A transcript hold will be placed on the students account until the hours are completed.
- Recertify for the scholarship every semester.
- Should you accept the scholarship and later decide to not take part of the Promise, please notify the Financial Aid Office at 281.290.2700.
- Students who have grade changes are responsible for contacting a campus Financial Aid Office so that their scholarship status can be reevaluated.