Sonography Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Enhanced Skills Certificate
The Sonography Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Enhanced Skills Certificate (C3_NIV3) is offered at LSC-CyFair. For more information please contact the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Department.
Visit the Health Science cluster page for similar careers.
The Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Enhanced Skills Certificate is designed for graduates with an AAS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography or Echocardiography. Vascular technologists specialize in imaging blood vessels. Upon completion of this LSCS certificate program, graduates may apply to take the credentialing exam to become a Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS), or Registered Vascular Specialist (RVS) through Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI).
Prior To Application
Students must complete all appropriate developmental coursework or retake the section of ASSET, ACCUPLACER, COMPASS, or THEA and score high enough to place into college-level courses.
Students must complete ENGL 1301, MATH 1314, PHYS 1401 or 1410, BIOL 2401 and 2402 prior to the first DMSO/DSAE course in the AAS degree. RADR 1313 and RADR 2305 may be substituted for the PHYS course requirement.
Students who currently hold an ARRT certification or a two-year degree in a patient care health program are eligible for admission to the certificate program. Students who do not hold an ARRT certification or a two-year degree in a patient care health program would apply for the AAS in DMS or Echocardiography.
Clinical space is limited, so students are admitted on a competitive basis. In addition to the general admission requirements of the LSCS, the following requirements must be met in order to apply for admission to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography AAS programs.
- College entry-level ability in mathematics and English (reading/writing) as defined by LSCS. For further information, contact any of the student development offices.
- Satisfactory completion of Anatomy and Physiology I and II (BIOL 2401 & BIOL 2402) with a “C” or better within the previous five years and prior to submission of an application for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Programs. Refresher anatomy & physiology courses are available through continuing education for students whose biology is older than five years and who do not desire to repeat the courses for credit. The grades earned from the older credit biology courses will be used for grade point calculation where applicable.
- Complete the following courses with a “C” or better: ENGL 1301, MATH 1314, PHYS 1401 or 1410
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in college.
- Students must register for and take the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Test.
- Must complete Hepatitis B immunization series prior to the first clinical course (this may take 3 to 6 months to complete). Applicants must provide written documentation of all immunizations or titers received and a satisfactory physical exam on a college-approved form found on the website.
- Prospective students are required to attend an information session and obtain an information session certificate.
- Final acceptance into the program is contingent upon a satisfactory background check (as required by clinical facilities) that is completed by a college approved agency at the student’s expense. Clinical facilities may also require completion of satisfactory drug screening and verification of medical insurance.
Applicants who have failed or withdrawn from any LSCS sonography program will be considered on an individual basis. Readmission is not automatic. It is based on remediation of an identified problem area and space availability. Students who wish to be readmitted must interview with the program’s Readmission Committee and follow current readmission guidelines.
At this interview, the student will be asked to describe what steps have been taken in the intervening months to improve the chance of success and an action plan for improvement of academic and/or clinical performance. In addition, students seeking readmission must submit three letters of their standing from the prior sonography program. One letter should be a “report of status” from the former program director. Readmission into the sonography program must occur within one year of non-completion. A student may be readmitted into the sonography one time only.
An individual’s request to transfer into any LSCS sonography program will be reviewed on an individual basis by the program director. Class placement is based on previous achievement and space availability. Admission is considered only if prior program enrollment has been within one (1) year.
- Completion of official transfer application.
- Written statement from the student describing his/her reasons for originally leaving the program.
- Submit current official transcripts from any colleges or universities that the student has attended.
- Submit three letters of his/her standing from the prior sonography program.
One letter should be a “report of status” from the former program director.
First Year Credits
First Semester Credits
|DSVT||1364||Practicum I - Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Ultrasound Tech||3|
|DSVT||2330||Non-Invasive Cerebral Vascular Evaluation||3|
|DSVT||2418||Non-Invasive Peripheral Vascular Evaluation||4|
TOTAL First Semester Credits:
Second Semester Credits
|DSVT1||1265||Practicum II - Medical Sonography & Ultrasound Tech||2|
|DSVT||2335||Advanced Non-Invasive Vascular Technology||3|
TOTAL Second Semester Credits:
TOTAL Credit Hours for Sonography Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Enhanced Skills Certificate :
- Capstone course