× LoneStarCollegeALERT:

No Alerts at this time.

Should I take credit or continuing education ESOL classes?
If you have a high school diploma or equivalent and need English for college, you should register through the Enrollment Services department. If you do not have a high school diploma or already have a college or university degree, you should register through the Continuing Education department.

Do I need to take a test?
Before you register for the first time in the credit or Continuing education English courses, you are required to take an ESOL placement test in the assessment center, room C220 at LSC-Tomball. The assessment center is open Monday through Thursday from 8a.m. to 8p.m.; Friday from 8a.m. to 5 p.m.; and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Tomball. Students in the Basic Adult Education ESL classes only are tested the first day of class at Tomball. At University Park, the Asessment Center is Room 240, Building 13. Times are: Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Please arrive in time to complete the test.

How do I begin in ESOL?
Go to the Admissions Office (for credit classes) or Continuing Education office (for CE classes):

  • Complete an application (International students must contact the International Advising Office first)
  • Talk to an advisor
  • Sign up for English placement test
  • Take the placement test
  • Register for classes

When are ESOL classes offered at LSC-Tomball?
Fall, Spring & Summer

  • 16 week semester classes
  • 12 week course (SUMMER ONLY)
  • Academic and Continuing Education classes

What are Adult Basic Education classes?
These courses teach the basic skills needed to participate in ESOL classes. There are no fees for these classes. These classes provide students with the opportunity to gain skills in English for functioning in social, workplace, and academic environments.

Classes are taught twice a week at many community locations such as LSC-Tomball. Day and evening schedules are available. Locations, times and days are listed in the Continuing Education course schedule, which is available at the registration desks at LSC-Tomball and LSC-University Park.

Can I receive financial aid?
If you are an American citizen or a permanent resident, you may be eligible for financial aid. If you are an international student on an F-1 visa, while studying full-time at Tomball you are allowed to work on campus for a limited number of hours

If you are on a temporary or student visa, you are not eligible for federal student aid, but may be eligible for certain state grants or waivers. Please check www.collegefortexans.com for more information.

Who are my instructors?
Full-time faculty:

Irina Nizova: Irina is a native of Russia. Her MA degree in English and German is from the Urals Pedagogical University Ekaterinburg, Russia, where she subsequently worked as an English as a Foreign Language instructor. After getting an MA degree in linguistics from California State University, Northridge, she taught both ESL and English composition classes at college level. She is currently working as Professor of ESOL and DS English at Tomball College.

Jacqueline Stirling: Jacky is from England. She received teacher certification from the University of Cambridge, UK. and a B.A. in linguistics and an M. A. in Multicultural Studies from the University of Houston. After several years living and working in countries as diverse as Canada, Algeria, Nigeria, Venezuela, and Ireland, Jacky settled in Houston and began teaching ESOL. She is presently the Department Chair of Humanities, and Director of the English as a Second Language Program for Lone Star College-Tomball and University Park.

Adjunct faculty:

 Lynn Bennett  Fernando Cardenas  Tracy Shepherd  Natasha Dovzak 
 Carla Marsh  Patricia Haynes  Mario Jane  Sherrita Krus
 Peter Murphy  Kamila Piotrowska  Brian Slovin  Jeanne Smith
 Kim Starck  Tishana Trochesset