ESOL Oral Communication 1
Description: In this course students have the opportunity to learn the key vocabulary and structures necessary for adequate basic communication. Students refine oral production and listening skills and increase control of the English sound system to minimize miscommunication due to pronunciation. Students who enroll in this course should have basic literacy skills in their native language and be familiar with Roman script.
Learning Outcomes: Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to
1. Demonstrate understanding of basic spoken commands and instructions, routine questions and answers, statements, and face-to-face conversations containing familiar vocabulary.
2. Speak about familiar topics and express immediate needs.
3. Ask and answer questions based on simple oral passages.
4. Be understood by the instructor and peers.
5. Demonstrate emerging fluency and reasonable control of the sound system.
6. Understand and use common reductions and contractions.