Careers & Jobs Sources - LSC-CyFair
Search Tips for the Library Catalog and Research Databases
|1. Enter the name of your career title by itself.||pharmacists|
|2. Enter the name of your career title with the word, "career" or "job."|| accountant career
|3. Enter job or career related keywords|| career change
Research Databases: Magazine, Newspaper, Journal Articles
Vocational and Career Collection
NOTE: Login off campus with your 14-digit LSC ID/Library card number or Harris County library card number.
(EBSCO) Includes full-text articles from magazines and newspapers on careers, job hunting, and more.
Library Catalog: Books, Videos, Etc.
Search for library materials in the:
• Library Catalog - Books, Audio, Movies, Music, and more available for checkout.
• eBooks from EBSCO - Electronic books available to read online, select titles available for temporary download.
NOTE: Request items online from library catalog with a Harris County Public Library Card or Lone Star College–CyFair Photo ID/Library Card. See instructions on getting a library card.
Selected Career & Job Search Reference Titles
Lone Star College–CyFair Branch Library:
NOTE: Titles below are in the College & Careers Reference Collection
• REF 331.702 Car - Career Information Center
• REF 331.702 Enc - Encyclopedia of Careers and Vocational Guidance
• REF 331.128 Job - Job Hunter's Sourcebook
See also: Occupational Outlook Handbook online from the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics
Selected Web Sites
Career Interests & Opportunities
• CareerOneStop sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor - highlights wages, employment trends, and national employer contacts (see also the fastest growing jobs)
• Major & Career Search from The College Board allows you to research specific areas of interest related to a field of study or job.
• Occupational Outlook Handbook from the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics - features job-specific salary and training information
• O*NET™ OnLine from the U.S. Department of Labor - provides job characteristics and skills for different professions
• Personality Assessment Quiz from educator, Barbara Barron-Tieger and psychologist, Paul Tieger - discover if you're an introvert or an extrovert
• Peterson's College Search - search for majors at various colleges
• Princeton Review Career Search from Princeton Review, a test preparation company - review different job fields and their requirements Job Search Tips
• Behavioral Interviewing Strategies from Quintessential Careers developed by Dr. Randall Hansen, an associate professor of marketing at Stetson University - includes question examples and tips for handling this type of interview
• Cost of Living Calculator from CNN and ACCRA, Inc. - provides an interactive tool to determine if moving to another area requires a larger salary
• Illegal Questions from the University of Washington Statistics Department - lists examples of questions employers cannot ask
• Resume Guide from America's Career InfoNet sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor - provides excellent tips for developing and distributing resumes & cover letters
• Riley Guide from a librarian and author of The Guide to Internet Job Searching - offers extensive information about the entire job search process from resumes to negotiating salary
• 7 Questions to Answer Before Accepting a Job Offer from U.S. News and World Report - features points to consider before taking a new job
• Lone Star College–CyFair, Local and National Employers: College Central Network Services (CCN) from Lone Star College System and CCN lists student employment on campus and in the Houston area plus some job openings around the nation. NOTE: It requires free registration to use. (Contact email@example.com or 281-290-3260 for more information.)
• Harris County: Human Resources & Risk Management-Employment from Harris County Government provides application information and job openings
• Houston: City of Houston Careers - find specific openings and application information for city jobs including technical, professional, and protective services
• Houston: Houston Jobs from Jobing.com, LLC, a job network company specializing in local job listings in various cities - provides listings of Houston-area positions
• Texas: WorkInTexas.com from the Texas Workforce Commission - view jobs available in Texas state government and you can apply online
• United States: Monster.com from Monster Worldwide, Inc., an advertising, marketing, and recruitment company - offers jobs listings and resume posting
Page Maintained by: R. Renick-Reference Librarian