Nursing Sources - LSC-CyFair
Titles with below = Lone Star College System college users access off campus with valid college ID/library card number
Titles marked as free web = access without a library card
All other titles = off campus by HCPL & Lone Star College System library card holders
Academic Search Complete
(EBSCO) Articles from journals, magazines, newspapers on a variety of topics.
CINAHL Plus with Full Text
(EBSCO) Lists 1,700+ current nursing and allied health journals and other publications from 1982 to the present, plus health care books, nursing dissertations, selected conference proceedings, standards of practice, educational software, audiovisuals and book chapters.
See also: CINAHL Tutorial from the University of Florida Health Science Center Libraries.
Health Reference Center Academic
(Thomson Gale) Fitness, medicine, nutrition, diseases, nursing, psychiatry/psychology, occupational health & safety.
PubMed - free web
(National Library of Medicine) Medical research; National Library of Medicine's MEDLINE database - no full text.
(Teton Data Systems) An electronic medical library that enables users to cross-search more than 35 medical resources.
Thomson Micromedex CareNotes
(Thomson) "Patient information about care, medications, and health, in English or Spanish."
Thomson Micromedex Healthcare Keyword Search
(Thomson) "Clinical databases, including unbiased, referenced information about drugs, toxicology, diseases, acute care, and alternative medicine."
Search for library materials in the:
NOTE: Request items online from library catalog with a Harris County Public Library Card or Lone Star College–CyFair Photo ID/Library Card. See instructions on getting a library card.
Selected Web Sites
- AMEDEO, The Medical Literature Guide - free subscription service to abstracts (summaries, not entire articles) with the latest medical information
- The American Holistic Nurses Association - AHNA supports the concepts of holism: a state of harmony among body, mind, emotions and spirit within an ever-changing environment.
- Council on Collegiate Education for Nursing - from the Southern Regional Education Board
- Medical Terms - from Health on the Net
- MedlinePlus - from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health - consumer health information (See also: drugs & supplements section)
- Medscape - from WebMD - offers comphrehensive information for nurses
- National League for Nursing - see sections such as public policy and what's new
- National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission
- NSNA-National Student Nurses' Association - see sections such as program activities and publications
- NursingWorld from the American Nurses Association - see sections such as the newsroom, nursing issues/programs, and core initiatives
- Oncolink - cancer information in English and Spanish from the University of Pennsylvania Abramson Cancer Center (See also: RN2RN: Ask a Colleague to discuss issues with practicing nurses.)
- Sigma Theta Tau International - honor society of nursing
Find examples of MLA, APA, or Chicago style format on the Citation Help page to give credit to information sources used in an assignment.
Maintained by: C. Gunnels-Assistant Director for Adult Services & Staff Training