TIPS: When searching the Databases, Catalog or the Internet,
- Add key terms related to nursing: patient care, diagnosis, monitor, complications, care plans, symptoms, nursing assessment, patient education.
- Combine any synonyms with OR and parentheses: (pregnancy OR obstetrics OR gestational); now add other key terms with AND between each term: (pregnancy OR obstetrics OR gestational) AND diabetes AND edema
- ** Insert an asterisk after the root word to find all variations of a term: (pregnan* OR obstetric* OR gestat*) AND diabet* AND edema.
- Use MeSH (medical subject headings) instead of keyword searching when using the professional medical databases. Your results will be more relevant.
Journal, Newspaper and Magazine articles are available from the Research Databases link on the library home page: http://www.lonestar.edu/library/index.htm.
If searching for specific titles in the databases, use Ebsco A-Z.
Most Useful Databases:
Complete and medically accurate 3D model of the human anatomy.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text
Nursing & allied health journals, providing full text for more than 560 journals indexed in CINAHL.
- Health Reference Center Academic
Use this database to find articles on: Fitness, Pregnancy, Medicine, Nutrition, Diseases, Public Health, Occupational Health and Safety, Alcohol and Drug abuse, HMOs, Prescription Drugs, etc.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition
This database provides nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines,and also features abstracts and indexing for nearly 850 journals.
- Thomson Micromedex Healthcare Resources
A wide range of clinical databases, including information about drugs, toxicology, diseases, acute care, and alternative medicine.
- STAT!Ref (Healthcare)
Full-text electronic medical library; over 30 titles including CPT, DSM-IV-TR, ICD-9-CM and USP reference books.