Prom Closet, Dress Give-Away - LSC-CyFair
CELEBRATING 11TH ANNUAL PROM CLOSET - 2015 Dates Belowat the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library, 9191 Barker Cypress Rd., Cypress, TX 77433
- Since 2004, started by CyFair ISD senior LaShanta Green, Lone Star College Teen Librarian Elise Sheppard and LSC-CF Friends of the Library President Nancy Flanakin.
- For teens who are unable to afford to buy a dress or for those on a tight budget. *A dress is free & for you to keep.
- Donations accepted all year long. WE ARE LACKING IN DRESSES SIZE 18 AND UP.
- Sponsored by the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library, Friends of the Library, and the Harris County Public Library System.
Prom Closet 2014
Involved from the start! Pictured left to right: Debbie Bass, Youth Services Specialist/Social Worker, Jersey Village High School, CyFair ISD; Anne Criddle, volunteer; Anji Fessler, Youth Services Specialist/Social Worker, Langham Creek High School, CyFair ISD; Elise Sheppard, Teen Librarian, LSC-CF.
Photos from the 10th Annual Prom Dress Give-Away, Spring 2014
2015 Dates To Get A Dress
Can accommodate the first 100 girls in line each day. No registration. First come, first served. Large groups, please contact Elise in advance. This is a free service (no strings attached) - please be respectful to the organizers and the other attendees. While supplies last.
|Saturday & Sunday Dates||Times||Location at LSC-CF Branch Library|
|Saturday, January 31||1:00 - 4:00 pm||Library room 131|
|Saturday, February 21||1:00 - 4:00 pm||Library room 131|
|Saturday, March 28||1:00 - 4:00 pm||Library room 131|
|Sunday, April 12||1:00 - 4:00 pm||Library room 131|
|Saturday, May 2||1:00 - 4:00 pm||Library room 131|
If you need a prom dress
1. The Youth Service Specialist at your high school
2. Prom Closet organizer directly: LSC-CF Teen Librarian Elise Sheppard at 281-290-5248, firstname.lastname@example.org
RULES & REGULATIONS, Flier (PDF)
*Due to the large number of people who attend the event and for chaos not to ensue, it is important that everyone follow some simple rules, be respectful of others, and not to feel entitled. The rules and regulations are linked here and are posted in front of the event room on the dates listed below. We sponsor the event so that young women (not their moms) on a budget can hopefully each find one free dress in order that they can attend and enjoy their proms. For those who cannot or who are unwilling to follow the rules, you will have to leave the event sans dress. Thank you for your consideration and your help in continuing the Prom Closet.
To donate a dress and accessories
- Flier (PDF)
- All dress sizes: 0 - 30 (Please donate plus-size dresses!)
- Accessories: Shoes, handbags, jewelry, hair pieces, shawls, new and unused make-up and toiletries, etc.
- Perfect condition: Clean (but not necessarily dry-cleaned), undamaged, stylish, no velvet!
- Delivery instructions: Take donations to Lone Star College - CyFair Branch Library Circulation/Customer Service Desk anytime the library is open. If you do not live in the LSC-CF area, please contact Elise to make arrangements. It might be possible to drop them off at a Harris County Public Library branch , but arrangements have to be made first. Dresses and accessories are accepted all year long.
- Thank you for helping a young woman attend her prom, military awards banquet, musical performance and other special occasions.
Thank you to the many individuals, companies and organizations who volunteer their time to help organize the dresses, assist the young women in finding the perfect gown and donate gift cards, gift baskets, dresses, accessories and beauty services.
Many beautiful dresses, prom shoes and services have been generously donated by the following stores and companies:
- Chick-fil-A, Copperfield, TX
- Eesh Formals, Houston, TX
- Mary Kay Beauty Consultant, Katie Prewitt, Cypress, TX
- Bookstore at the Lone Star College-CyFair, Cypress, TX
- The Giving Gown Foundation, Houston, TX
- Angel Gowns By Diane, Katy, TX
- The Awty International School, Houston, TX
- Girls of Grace, Sweet Me Retreat, St. Mary's Episcopal Church, Cypress, TX
- Peter Piper Pizza, Houston, TX
- The Look Salon, Houston, TX
TV & Newspaper Interviews
- (Below) Local woman ensures it's not the last dance for Prom Closet. http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/heights/news/article/Local-woman-ensures-it-s-not-the-last-dance-for-5542189.php. By Lindsay Peyton, The Houston Chronicle, Heights and River Oaks Community News, June 10, 2014.
- (Below) Looking for a prom dress? We found ones for free! http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=8570991, Stretch Your Dollar with Patricia Lopez, ABC Channel 13, Houston, March 6, 2012.
- (Below) A Closet of Prom Dresses, Diplomas, http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/110401-a-closet-of-prom-dresss-diplomas, Pattie Shieh, Fox 26 News, Houston, April 1, 2011.
- (Below) Groups offering free prom dresses for needy, http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=8027770, Stretch your Dollar, Patricia Lopez, ABC Channel 13, Houston, March 22, 2011.