Prom Closet, Dress Give-Away - LSC-CyFair
CELEBRATING 10TH ANNUAL PROM CLOSETat the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library, 9191 Barker Cypress Rd., Cypress, TX 77433
- Since 2004, started by CyFair ISD senior LaShanta Green, Lone Star College Teen Librarian Elise Sheppard and LSC-CF Friends of the Library President Nancy Flanakin.
- For teens who are unable to afford to buy a dress or for those on a tight budget. *A dress is free & for you to keep.
- Donations accepted all year long. WE ARE LACKING IN DRESSES SIZE 18 AND UP.
- Sponsored by the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library, Friends of the Library, and the Harris County Public Library System.
To honor our 10th year of giving dresses to those in need, a contest ran in February to guess how many young women the LSC-CF Prom Closet has helped over the past decade. The entry with the closest guess received a gift certificate.
DIONNE HILL is the contest winner, guessing closest to the number of girls (2,266) that Prom Closet has helped over the first 9 years of the program. Dionne is an educator, having a doctorate (EDD) in the field of mental health and working for the Mental Health Mental Retardation Authority (MHMRA). She is also a library patron, frequently meeting in the library with her sorority Delta Sigma Theta Sorority.
Pictured below left is Dionne Hill with Teen Librarian Elise Sheppard
Prom Closet 2014
Involved from the start! Pictured left to right: Debbie Bass, Youth Services Specialist/Social Worker, Jersey Village High School, CyFair ISD; Anne Criddle, volunteer; Anji Fessler, Youth Services Specialist/Social Worker, Langham Creek High School, CyFair ISD; Elise Sheppard, Teen Librarian, LSC-CF.
Photos from the 10th Annual Prom Dress Give-Away, Spring 2014
2014 Dates To Get A Dress
THE CLOSET IS CLOSED UNTIL SPRING 2015. IN JANUARY THE DATES FOR THE SPRING OPEN HOUSES WILL BE POSTED HERE.
If you need a prom dress
1. The Youth Service Specialist at your high school
2. Prom Closet organizer directly: LSC-CF Teen Librarian Elise Sheppard at 281-290-5248, firstname.lastname@example.org
RULES & REGULATIONS, Flier (PDF)
*Due to the large number of people who attend the event and for chaos not to ensue, it is important that everyone follow some simple rules, be respectful of others, and not to feel entitled. The rules and regulations are linked here and are posted in front of the event room on the dates listed below. We sponsor the event so that young women (not their moms) on a budget can hopefully each find one free dress in order that they can attend and enjoy their proms. For those who cannot or who are unwilling to follow the rules, you will have to leave the event sans dress. Thank you for your consideration and your help in continuing the Prom Closet.
To donate a dress and accessories
- Flier (PDF)
- All dress sizes: 0 - 30 (Please donate plus-size dresses!)
- Accessories: Shoes, handbags, jewelry, hair pieces, shawls, new and unused make-up and toiletries, etc.
- Perfect condition: Clean (but not necessarily dry-cleaned), undamaged, stylish, no velvet!
- Delivery instructions: Take donations to Lone Star College - CyFair Branch Library Circulation/Customer Service Desk anytime the library is open. If you do not live in the LSC-CF area, please contact Elise to make arrangements. It might be possible to drop them off at a Harris County Public Library branch , but arrangements have to be made first. Dresses and accessories are accepted all year long.
- Thank you for helping a young woman attend her prom, military awards banquet, musical performance and other special occasions.
Thank you to the many individuals, companies and organizations who volunteer their time to help organize the dresses, assist the young women in finding the perfect gown and donate gift cards, gift baskets, dresses, accessories and beauty services.
Many beautiful dresses, prom shoes and services have been generously donated by the following stores and companies:
Chick-fil-A, Copperfield, TX
The Silver Hanger, Katy, TX
Eesh Formals, Houston, TX
Prom Shoes: an online store with beautiful, reasonably priced prom shoes.
- Mary Kay Beauty Consultant, Katie Prewitt, Cypress, TX
- Bookstore at the Lone Star College-CyFair, Cypress, TX
- The Giving Gown Foundation, Houston, TX
- Angel Gowns By Diane, Katy, TX
TV & Newspaper Interviews
- (Below) Local woman ensures it's not the last dance for Prom Closet. http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/heights/news/article/Local-woman-ensures-it-s-not-the-last-dance-for-5542189.php. By Lindsay Peyton, The Houston Chronicle, Heights and River Oaks Community News, June 10, 2014.
- (Below) Looking for a prom dress? We found ones for free! http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=8570991, Stretch Your Dollar with Patricia Lopez, ABC Channel 13, Houston, March 6, 2012.
- (Below) A Closet of Prom Dresses, Diplomas, http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/110401-a-closet-of-prom-dresss-diplomas, Pattie Shieh, Fox 26 News, Houston, April 1, 2011.
- (Below) Groups offering free prom dresses for needy, http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=8027770, Stretch your Dollar, Patricia Lopez, ABC Channel 13, Houston, March 22, 2011.