The United Nations is an international organization comprising most of the nations of the world. It was founded in 1944 to promote cooperation and peaceful resolutions to conflicts.
The European Union is an alliance of independent countries founded in 1993 to enhance political, social, and economic cooperation.
League of Arab Nations
Also referred to as the Arab League, it is an organization of Arab states organized in 1945. It aims to coordinate political and economic affairs of the member nations.
Organization of American States
The OAS brings together countries in the Western Hemisphere in order to strengthen cooperation and to advance common interests.
League of Nations
(Now defunct) Organized in 1920, the League of Nations was supposed to prevent future world wars. Although President Woodrow Wilson was a major voice in the organization, the U.S. never joined. As the world slipped closer to World War II, it lost all credibility and was disband in 1945.
IFES - An international nonprofit organization that supports the building of democratic societies.
Electoral Calendar - World-wide elections.
- IFES Election Guide - Database with the results of the past elections and others with the composition of the parliaments, the governments and the parties.
Country InformationGeneral Country Information
- Background Notes from the U.S. Department of State
- See also Background Notes archives.
- International newspapers by country.
- Country Studies/Area Handbook Program sponsored by the U.S. Department of the Army.
- CIA World Fact Book Prepared by the Central Intelligence Agency fo rthe use of U.S. Government officials for sue when working with foreign countries. Access provided by Bartleby.com.
- CountryWatch [Student link] - maps, overviews, and information on economics, politics, society, environment. Must have student library barcode to access from home.
- CountryWatch [Community user link] - overviews and information on economics, politics, society, environment. Free to the community.
- FindLaw: Constitutions of the World - Links to major consititutions.
- Global Edge - from Michigan State University.
- Links to Foreign Governments sites in alphabetical order - from Northwestern University.
- NHC library's resources for Countries & Cultures - Subject Guide prepared by NHC librarians.
- U.S. Embassies overseas
- Embassies of External Nations to the United States
- Researching U. S. Treaties and Agreements article by Marci Hoffman - Includes research strategies and locations of treaties available on the interent.
- State Department's Site on Treaties in Force
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
- NAFTA (in .html chapters)
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- International Conference of the Red Cross (ICRC) page on the Geneva Conventions
- Geneva Convention relative to the Treatment of Prisoners of War - signed 1949