American History Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- Mexican War of Independence
- Santa Anna or Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna
|Find e-books, streaming videos, and articles from magazines, newspapers, and journals.||Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.|
Multi-subject Databases - Contain scholarly articles and books on historical and current topics. Look at the video tutorial for each to learn how to use them.
- Academic Search Complete - for articles Video Tutorial
- JSTOR - for articles Video Tutorial
- eBook Collection - for eBooks Video Tutorial
- Project MUSE - for articles Video Tutorial
Find books, e-books, DVDs, and more.
Use the Library Catalog
- Enter search terms.
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "request first available copy" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
Most history books in our collection are located on the second floor of the library, shelves D through F.
A partial listing of books is included below.
- Almanac of Dates [REF D11.5 .M565]
- American Decades [REF E169.12 .A419]
- Biographical Dictionary of the Confederacy [REF E467 .W2]
- Dictionary of American Biography [REF E176 .D563]
- Encyclopedia of American Foreign Policy [REF E183.7 .E52 2002]
- Encyclopedia of Southern History [REF F207.7 .E52]
- Famous First Facts [REF AG5 .K315 1997]
- The First Ladies [REF E176.2 .H368 2009]
- Historic Documents [REF E839.5 .H57]
- New Encyclopedia of the American West [REF F591 .N46 1998]
- New Handbook of Texas [REF F384 .N48 1996 and online]
- The Presidents Fact Book [REF E176.1 .M3856 2009]
- Public Papers of the Presidents [SuDoc GS 4:113 and SuDoc AE 2:114]
- This Day in American History [REF E174.5 .G76]
Start here for a rich diverse listing of online locations.
- American Memory - The Library of Congress provides a rich collection of documents, photographs, recordings, and more devoted to American history and culture.
- America's Story - The Library of Congress provides a look at United States history with biographical sketches, timelines, and interesting facts.
- Historical Maps of the United States - American history as shown by maps from the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Outline of U.S. History - A chronological examination of American history by Prof. Alonzo L. Hamby.
- National Museum of American History - A branch of the Smithsonian Institution.
- Today in History - Each day an event from American history is illustrated by digitized items from the collections of the Library of Congress.