Annotated Bibliography Guide - LSC-North Harris
What is an annotated bibliography?
It is a list of sources (such as books, journals, and websites) that cover the topic you have chosen to research. Each source listed is followed by a paragraph that summarizes and evaluates the source.
- Follow the appropriate Research Guide to help you find relevant sources.
- Ask your professor which style to use (MLA, APA, Chicago, etc.). Use the Citation Help guide to help you format your paper and construct a citation entry for each source.
- For each entry, list the appropriate bibliographic elements (author, title, publication place, date, etc.).
- Each entry should answer the questions:
- Who wrote the material you are using?
- What did the author(s) entitle the piece he/she/they wrote?
- Where and when was it published (for a book, what city; for an article, which periodical)?
- If it's an article or a chapter, what pages is your source on?
- Follow each entry with an annotation composed in paragraph style.
- Alphabetize all the entries by the first element.
Eaach annotation should address the following in paragraph form:
(check with your professor for particulars)
- summarize the source's main points.
- discuss any bias.
- define the purpose and the intended audience of the source.
- describe the currency, quality, relevancy, and accuracy of the source.
- explain how the information compares to other sources you found.
- mention how the source helps you understand the topic.
- Annotated Bibliographies from Purdue Online Writing Lab
- How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography from Cornell University Library
Video Introduction to APA (7 min)
- APA Herding Cats Sample Paper 2014
- APA Formatting and Style Guide (includes in-text citations and references) (Purdue OWL)
- Diana Hacker's Social Sciences (Bedford/St. Martin's)
- APA Citation - In-Text & References Interactive Practice (Monica Norem)
Formatting a Research Paper in Microsoft Word
Video Introduction to MLA 8 (7 min)
- 2016 MLA 8 two-page short
- MLA 8 Style Works Cited (PDF, 9 pgs.) uploaded August 8, 2016
- MLA 8 Containers Worksheet (1 pg.) Structured template to create citations
MLA 7Video Introduction to MLA 7 (7 min)
- MLA Herding Cats Sample Paper (2015)
- Citing Government Information (from LSC-North Harris)
- Diana Hacker's Sample Paper (Bedford/St. Martin's Press)
- Diana Hacker's List of Works Cited (Bedford/St. Martin's Press)
- MLA In-Text Citations (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
- MLA Style Center (Writing Resources from the Modern Language Association, covering 8th edition)