Business Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- (company) Frito Lay
- (company and brand) Frito Lay and Lays Potato Chips
- (industry) airlines in the United States, 311919 "other snack food manufacturing"
- (current topic) recession, unemployment, downsizing, layoffs
|Find e-books, streaming videos, and articles from magazines, newspapers, and journals.||Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.|
See Research Databases: Business for additional resources.
Find books, e-books, DVDs, and more.
Use the Library Catalog
- Enter search terms.
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "request first available copy" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
Most business books are located on the HB through HJ sections of the shelves on the third floor of the library.
- Kiss, Bow, or Shake Hands (doing business in other countries, or with persons from other countries)
- Encyclopedia of Consumer Brands (3rd floor Reference In Stacks, HF 5415.3 E527 1994)
- Hoover's Handbook of Private Companies (3rd floor Reference, HG 4057. A28616 2011)
- Hoover's Handbook of American Business (3rd floor Reference, HG 4057. A28617 2011)
- D&B Regional Business Directory (3rd floor Reference, HG 4058. H68 D86 2011 )
- How to Set Up Your Own Small Business
- How to Write a Business Plan
- The SBA Loan Book
- Creating a Successful Marketing Strategy for your Small Business
The library has a variety of handbooks on starting your small business in a particular field such as cosmetology, gardening, bakery, recording studio, and so much more.
- EDGAR Database (SEC filings)
- GuideStar (search U.S. nonprofit organizations)
- Hoover's Online
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers (Requires free registration)
- The Internet Public Library Business Directories Reference
- Inc. 5000 - list of the nation's fastest-growing private companies from Inc. magazine
- Internet 800 Directory - toll-free phone numbers
- Switchboard - business and residential phone numbers
- U.S. Postal Service ZIP Code Lookup
- Current Industrial Reports (from Census Bureau)
- Forbes The 100 Best Small Companies in America
- NFIB (National Federation of Independent Business - advocacy organization representing small businesses.)
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
- Small Business Administration
- Small Business Resource Center (from the U.S. Department of Labor) - see also Bureau of Labor Statistics
- U.S. Census Bureau - Business and Industry
- U.S. Department of Labor
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission - Small Business Information
- Wall Street Journal - Small Business Information (includes how-to, franchising, financing, technology, and running a business sections)
- Financing Your Business - U.S. Small Business Administration - Financial Assistance (see also, The Business Plan section)
- Sample Business and Marketing Plans - from Palo Alto Software
- Small Business/Self-Employed - from the IRS
- Virtual Business Plan - breaks down the sections of a business plan that you can review by section -click each section on the left side of the screen
Demographics and Additional Statistical Information
- American Fact Finder - provides profiles for states, counties, cities, congressional districts, and more from the U.S. Census Bureau
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - collects data on prices and expenditures, employment and other topics. See also: Consumer Expenditure Surveys
- ZIP Code Business Patterns provides business data by zip code.
ZIP Codes in North Houston and Montgomery County:
- Aldine-North Loop-Greenspoint 77016, 022, 026, 028, 032, 037, 038, 039, 050, 060, 073, 076, 078, 086, 088, 091, 093, 396
- FM 1960-Spring-Klein 77014, 066, 067, 068, 090, 373, 379, 388, 389
- Humble-Atascocita-Northeast 77336, 337, 338, 346, 347, 357, 358, 365, 372, 390, 391, 396
- Northwest-Cy-Fair 77040, 041, 064, 065, 069, 070, 095, 429, 433, 447, 484
- Tomball-Magnolia 77353, 354, 355, 362, 375
- South Montgomery County 77380, 381, 382, 384, 385, 386
- North Montgomery County -- 77301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 327, 328, 333, 356, 378
- Keep track of all of the information and sources you used during your research.
- Ask your professor about the required citation style.
- Consult Citation Help Guide from LSC-North Harris Library to help you construct your citations.
Each citation should answer the questions:
- Who wrote the material you are using?
- What did the author(s) entitle the piece he/she/they wrote?
- Where and when was it published (for a book, what city; for an article, which periodical)?
- If it's an article or a chapter, what pages is your source on?