Major Company Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- (company and brand) Frito Lay and Lays Potato Chips
- (industry) airlines in the United States, 311919 "other snack food manufacturing"
- (current topic) recession, unemployment, downsizing, layoff
- (company) Frito Lay
for articles, company reports, industry reports Video Tutorial
How to cite a MarketLine Report
Find business news and reports Video tutorial
Contains thousands of articles, from multiple publishers, on almost all subjects. (Video Tutorial)
Research Databases: Business for additional resources.
Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.
Multi-subject electronic book collection (Video tutorial)
- Enter search terms.
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "Place Hold" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
Business and Association Directories
- EDGAR Database (SEC filings)
- GuideStar (search U.S. nonprofit organizations)
- Hoover's Online
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers (Requires free registration)
- The Internet Public Library Business Directories Reference
- Inc. 500 - list of the nation's fastest-growing private companies from Inc. magazine
- Internet 800 Directory - toll-free phone numbers
- Switchboard - business and residential phone numbers
- U.S. Postal Service ZIP Code Lookup
- Current Industrial Reports (from Census Bureau)
- Forbes The 100 Best Small Companies in America
- NFIB (National Federation of Independent Business - advocacy organization representing small businesses.)
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
- Small Business Administration
- Small Business Resource Center (from the U.S. Department of Labor) - see also Bureau of Labor Statistics
- U.S. Census Bureau - Business and Industry
- U.S. Department of Labor
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission - Small Business Information
- Wall Street Journal - Small Business Information (includes how-to, franchising, financing, technology, and running a business sections)
- Bloomberg Business Week
- CNNMoney - Business, financial, personal finance, news
- Entrepreneur Magazine
- Fortune (search back issues using the search box on this page)
- Houston Business Journal (search 39 business journals in the U.S.)
- Houston Chronicle
- Inc. Online (search back issues using the search box on all pages)
- PR Newswire
- The Economist
- Keep track of all of the information and sources you used during your research.
- Ask your professor about the required citation style.
- Consult Citation Help Guide from LSC-North Harris Library to help you construct your citations.
Each citation should answer the questions:
- Who wrote the material you are using?
- What did the author(s) entitle the piece he/she/they wrote?
- Where and when was it published (for a book, what city; for an article, which periodical)?
- If it's an article or a chapter, what pages is your source on?