Composers & Musical Styles - LSC-North Harris
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- Beethoven and Moonlight Sonata
- country music and Jimmie Rodgers
Includes many profiles of the famous, past and present. (Video Tutorial)
Contains thousands of articles, from multiple publishers, on almost all subjects. (Video Tutorial)
Find additional articles Video Tutorial
Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.
Multi-subject electronic book collection (Video tutorial)
Check the ML section for musical topics in the reference and circulating book shelves on the 3rd floor.
|American Composers: A Biographical Dictionary||REF ML 390 .E815 1982|
|Contemporary American Composers: A Biographical Dictionary||REF ML 390 .A54|
|Encyclopedia of Popular Music
Encyclopedia of Rock
|REF ML 102 .P66 G84 2006
REF ML .R6 H37 1988
|Encyclopedia of Rock Stars||REF ML 102 .R6 R44 1996|
|The Garland Encyclopedia of World Music (10 volume set)||REF ML100 .G16 1998|
|The New Grove Dictionary of American Music||REF ML 101 .U6N4 1986|
|The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians||REF ML 100. N48|
|The New Harvard Dictionary of Music||REF ML 100 .N485 1986|
|The New Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock and Roll||REF ML 102 .R6 R64 1995|
|Popular Musicians (4 volume set)||REF ML 105 .P66 1999|
- Enter search terms.
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "Place Hold" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
- All-Music Guide information by "free-lance writers and music experts from around the globe"
- Information Resources for Music (from UC - Santa Barbara Library)
- Pandora Radio - A free online service that allows users to listen to artists or genres generated by the radio station. Used to market music.
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees
click on "search all inductees" link near the top right side of the page to find a specific group or performer
- Stearns Collection from the Univeristy of Michigan. Over 2,500 pieces of historican and contemporary musical instruments.
- Virtual Instrument Museum from Weslyan University, instruments broken down by instrument types including picture, audio, and sometimes video of the instrument being played.
- Yahoo - Composers (see also Yahoo - Music - Artists & search that category or click on a letter for your favorite recording artist or group
Do my sources pass the CRAP test?
Each of my sources are:
- Reliable & Relevant
- Authoritative & Accurate
- Proper Purpose & Point-of-view
See video tutorials:
- Keep track of all of the information and sources you used during your research.
- Ask your professor about the required citation style.
- Consult Citation Help Guide from LSC-North Harris Library to help you construct your citations.
Each citation should answer the questions:
- Who wrote the material you are using?
- What did the author(s) entitle the piece he/she/they wrote?
- Where and when was it published (for a book, what city; for an article, which periodical)?
- If it's an article or a chapter, what pages is your source on?