Cosmetology Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- hair coloring
- skin cancer
- basal cell carcinoma
|Find e-books, streaming videos, and articles from magazines, newspapers, and journals.||Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.|
Cosmetology periodicals found in the Research Databases
Find books, e-books, DVDs, and more.
Use the Library Catalog
- Enter search terms.
- Use the limiters on the left to narrow your results to a particular library or date range.
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "Place Hold" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
Books and VideosBooks, videos, DVDs and manuals on skin, beauty, and cosmetology are located on the third floor of the library.
- Skin = RL 81.C65- RL155.P36
- Hair & Nails = TT958.F45- TT 972.W65
- All About Hairdressing and Hairstyling eBook
- Milady's Illustrated Cosmetology Dictionary eBook
- Understanding Skin Problems: Acne, Eczema, Psoriasis and Related Conditions eBook
- Careers in Cosmetology eBook
- Safety and Health in the Salon: Facilitator's Guide eBook
- Hair Structure and Chemistry Simplified - Print - TT972.H33 2009
- Successful Salon & Spa Management - Print
- The WAH Nails Book of Nail Art - Print
- Nail Care Technicians: Job Hunting - Print
- Deep Tissue Massage Treatment - Print
- Massage Mastery: From Student to Professional - Print
- Manicure and Pedicure - Print
- Skin Care Practices and Clinical Protocols - Print
Periodicals in Print
In print magazines, journals, and trade publications related to cosmetology are located in the periodicals collection on the second floor of the library.
- American Salon
- Emergency Medicine
- Modern Salon
- Nursing Made Incredibly Easy
Online Publications Recommended by the National Cosmetology Association
Associations & Organizatons
- American Massage Therapy Association
- American Podiatric Medical Association
- Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals
- Associated Skin Care Professionals
- Day Spa Association
- International Salon/Spa Business Network
- National Coalition of Estheticians, Manufacturers/Distributors & Associations
- Professional Beauty Association
Licensing and Accreditation
- National Accrediting Commission of Cosmetology Arts & Sciences
- National-Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology
- Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation - Cosmetologists
Other Related Sites
- FDA: Cosmetics
- Health and Medicine Research Guide - LSC-North Harris Library
- US Internal Revenue Service- Tips for the Cosmetology & Barber Industry
Do my sources pass the CRAP test?
Each of my sources are:
- Reliable & Relevant
- Authoritative & Accurate
- Proper Purpose & Point-of-view
See video tutorials:
- Keep track of all of the information and sources you used during your research.
- Ask your professor about the required citation style.
- Consult Citation Help Guide from LSC-North Harris Library to help you construct your citations.
Each citation should answer the questions:
- Who wrote the material you are using?
- What did the author(s) entitle the piece he/she/they wrote?
- Where and when was it published (for a book, what city; for an article, which periodical)?
- If it's an article or a chapter, what pages is your source on?