ESOL Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- Diego Maradona, soccer player
- China and customs
- Mexico and history
|Find e-books, streaming videos, and articles from magazines, newspapers, and journals.||Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.|
Find books, e-books, DVDs, and more.
Use the Library Catalog
- Enter search terms.
- Diego Maradona
- China and customs
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "request first available copy" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
The ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Collection - third floor of the library
- dictionaries for students of English
- condensed chapter books (many with corresponding audio) to help learners of English develop vocabulary and reading fluency
- TOEFL study guides
- citizenship guides
- basic non-fiction books
College Success, Study Skills, Test-Taking, & English Grammar - third floor of the library
- English grammar, vocabulary, and writing: PE section of the shelves (especially PE 1128 and PE 1413)
- Dictionaries: PE 1591-2839 section of the shelves
- Study skills, college success, time management, test-taking skills: LB2300s and LB3000s
Reference Collection - third floor of the library
- general knowldege encyclopedias like the World Book
- specialized encyclopedias - biographical encycyclopedias, countries & cultures, decades & chronologies
- dictionaries, including American idioms.
English Language Study and Practice
- Dave's ESL Cafe - Collection of resources for ESL students and teachers from Dave Sperling. Includes ESL Idiom Page and ESL Quiz Center where you can practice your knowledge of grammar, slang, history, and science.
- English as a Second Language Home Page - From Rong-Chang Li. Includes links to listening, reading, writing, and other sites for ESL students and teachers.
- ESL Resources from World & I
- ESL Study Hall - Includes links to web pages on reading, writing, vocabulary, and grammar. (Christine Meloni, Department of EFL, The George Washington University)
- HyperGrammar - Features specifics about grammar rules. (Writing Centre, University of Ottawa)
- Interesting Things for ESL Students - From ManyThings.org by Charles I. Kelly and Lawrence E. Kelly. Offers games and activities for vocabulary, grammar and listening practice.
- Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab - Provides practice sound files to become familiar with the English language. (Randall Davis, English Language Institute, University of Utah) (NOTE: You may need to download additional software as directed. Check with campus lab personnel to see what software is currently available on college workstations.)
- Selected Links for ESL Students - Provides links to games, vocabulary, news, reading, and grammar from the Internet TESL Journal.
- TOPICS: An Online Magazine for Learners of English - Information on ESL class projects, people, culture and traditions from around the world, and global issues. (Sandy and Thomas Peters)
- ESL Resources, Handouts, and Exercises from Purdue University’s Online Writing Lab
- ESL Independent Study Lab from Lewis and Clark College
- UsingEnglish Resources for English as a Second Language. Contains material for both student and teacher.
- BBC World Service - The BBC began broadcasting to the world in 1932 and now broadcasts in English and 44 other languages to over 140 million regular listeners. BBC World Service provides visual and audio links to news information and access to world culture and entertainment
- Onlinenewspapers.com - International newspapers, organized by geographical regions, then countries.
- Voice of America - Multimedia international broadcasting service of news, information, educational, and cultural programming to a worldwide audience.
- Washington Post World - Includes current news, special reports, and information categorized according to geographical region of the world. Free registration required.
- Worldwide Newspapers from the Internet Public Library
- Britannica.com- Provides more than 125,000 sites, selected articles from more than 70 magazines, news from washingtonpost.com, and much more!
- Information Please- Combines dictionary, encyclopedia, and almanac information into one Internet source.
- Digital Librarian - A public librarian's collection of information organized by subject.
- Internet Public Library Reference Center - Collection of categorized links designed to parallel a traditional library.
- Mapquest - A recognized Internet authority for map information, providing information ranging in scope from the local street map to a broader geographic area depiction.
- National Geographic - Internet version of the periodical with the same title, provides articles and images that illustrate or explain our world and its cultures. Free registration required to read articles.
- Perry-Castaneda Library Map collection - Acclaimed collection of maps arranged by geographic location.
- Virtual Religion - Award-winning index of religion sites. (Religion Department, Rutgers University)
Video Introduction to MLA 8 (7 min)
- 2016 MLA 8 two-page short
- MLA 8 Style Works Cited (PDF, 9 pgs.) uploaded August 8, 2016
- MLA 8 Containers Worksheet (1 pg.) Structured template to create citations
Video Introduction to MLA 7 (7 min)
- MLA Herding Cats Sample Paper (2015)
- Citing Government Information (from LSC-North Harris)
- Diana Hacker's Sample Paper (Bedford/St. Martin's Press)
- Diana Hacker's List of Works Cited (Bedford/St. Martin's Press)
- MLA In-Text Citations (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
- MLA Style Center (Writing Resources from the Modern Language Association, covering 8th edition)