Government Policy Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
This page was originally created for Professor Scruggs. Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access to library resources (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.
Find a Topic for Policy Paper
Choose Key Words
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- Is it a public policy or a current issue affecting the government or the people of the United States?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- Broad: legalizing drugs
- Narrow: legalizing and medical marijuana
- Narrower: legalizing and medical marijuana and Texas
Find books, e-books, DVDs, and more.
Use the Library Catalog
- Enter search terms.
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "request first available copy" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
What is an annotated bibliography?
It is a list of sources (such as books, journals, and websites) that cover the topic you have chosen to research. Each source listed is followed by a paragraph that summarizes and evaluates the source. In your summary, be sure to address the reasons why you selected the particular article.
- summarize the article's main points
- describe the currency, relevancy, and accuracy of the article
- discuss the purpose of the article and intended audience
- mention how the article helps you understand the topic
Learn More about Annotated Bibliographies
- Annotated Bibliographies from Purdue Online Writing Lab
- How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography from Cornell University Library
Video Introduction to MLA 8 (7 min)
- 2016 MLA 8 two-page short
- MLA 8 Style Works Cited (PDF, 9 pgs.) uploaded August 8, 2016
- MLA 8 Containers Worksheet (1 pg.) Structured template to create citations
Video Introduction to MLA 7 (7 min)
- MLA Herding Cats Sample Paper (2015)
- Citing Government Information (from LSC-North Harris)
- Diana Hacker's Sample Paper (Bedford/St. Martin's Press)
- Diana Hacker's List of Works Cited (Bedford/St. Martin's Press)
- MLA In-Text Citations (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
- MLA Style Center (Writing Resources from the Modern Language Association, covering 8th edition)