Government Policy Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
This page was originally created for Professor Scruggs.
I. Find a Topic for Policy Paper
balanced reports Video Tutorial
to browse subjects, click on Issues at the top of the screen Video Tutorial
opinions, periodical articles, and more Video Tutorial
II. Choose Key Words
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- Is it a public policy or a current issue affecting the government or the people of the United States?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- Broad: legalizing drugs
- Narrow: legalizing and medical marijuana
- Narrower: legalizing and medical marijuana and Texas
Contains thousands of articles, from multiple publishers, on almost all subjects. (Video Tutorial)
Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.
Multi-subject electronic book collection (Video tutorial)
- Enter search terms.
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "Place Hold" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
Do my sources pass the CRAP test?
Each of my sources are:
- Reliable & Relevant
- Authoritative & Accurate
- Proper Purpose & Point-of-view
See video tutorials:
Video Introduction to MLA 8 (7 min)
- 2016 MLA 8 two-page short
- MLA 8 Style Works Cited (PDF, 9 pgs.) uploaded August 8, 2016
- MLA 8 Containers Worksheet (1 pg.) Structured template to create citations
MLA 7Video Introduction to MLA 7 (7 min)
- MLA Herding Cats Sample Paper (2015)
- Citing Government Information (from LSC-North Harris)
- MLA In-Text Citations (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
- MLA Style Center (Writing Resources from the Modern Language Association, covering 8th edition)