ENGL 1302 Local Current Issues Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to address. List terms that best describe your community, especially in terms of political entities.
Your Community - General Terms Your Community - Political Entities Related Terms Aldine
Harris County Constable Precinct 4, Aldine Independent School District, Houston City Council District B, Texas State House District 140
- List issues or terms that may affect your local community.
Broad Narrower economy recession, unemployment, mortgage crisis discrimination racial discrimination, gender discrimination
- Who Represents Me? - Find out who represents you in the State House of Representatives, State Senate and State Board of Education.
Federal Government Information Sources
Harris County Government Sources
- Airline Improvement District - A state-designated economic development zone within the 77037 ZIP code.
- Harris County - The homepage for the county government.
- Commissioners' Court - The agendas of the official meetings of the county commissioners.
- County Judge - The official website of Judge Ed Emmett.
- Precinct Map - Find out which county constable precinct you live in.
- Precinct 1 Constable - The official website of Precinct 1 Constable. Locate crime statistics.
- Precinct 1 - The official website of Precint 1, El Franco Lee, Commissioner. For information about the structure of the precinct, check About Precinct 1 in the pull-down menus. There is a publication titled, "Know Your Harris County Government" in .pdf that can be downloaded.
- Precinct 4 - The official website of Precinct 4.
- Harris County Public Library - The homepage of HCPL, which is an entity distinct from the Houston Public Library.
- County Regulations - The administrative rules of Harris County.
- Fire Marshal - The homepage of the county fire marshal.
- Flood Control District - The county level organization for flood management.
- The Port of Houston - Port management for Harris County.
- Hospital District - The county organization for health management.
- Homeland Security and Emergency Management - The county organization for emergency management.
- Harris County Animal Control - Veterinary Public Health services
- Harris County Historic Maps - Maps of the county since 1873.
- Harris County on Twitter - The county's official Twitter feed.
- Harris County Sheriff's Office - Official website of Sheriff Ron Hickman
City of Humble
- Humble Municipal Code - The laws of Humble.
City of Houston
- City Government - Official homepage for the city government.
- Houston demographic data - From the City of Houston.
- Mayor - Office of the Mayor of Houston.
- City Council - 16 member legislative body.
- City Council district maps - Find out who represents you.
- Code of Ordinances - The laws of Houston.
- Crime Statistics - Statistics from the Houston Police Department.
- City of Houston on Twitter - Houston's official Twitter feed.
- Old Houston Maps - From the Houstorian.
- Spring ISD
- Aldine ISD
- Houston ISD
- Humble ISD
- Klein ISD
- Lone Star College System
- LSCS Official Day Reports
|Find articles from magazines, newspapers, and journals.||Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.|
Local News Sources
Houston Area News Sources
- Houston Chronicle - The largest newspaper covering the city of Houston.
- Houston Chronicle - Using Google to search within the Chronicle is often more effective than the Chronicle's own search tool.
- The Collegian - The student newspaper of Houston Baptist University
- Community Impact News (Houston Area) - Local news source.
- Daily Cougar - The student newspaper of the University of Houston.
- Free Press Houston - Alternative newspaper.
- Houston Business Journal - Business news in the Houston area.
- Your Houston News - A collection of neighborhood news sources.
- Houston Press - Alternative newspaper.
- Northeast News - Aldine area news.
- OutSmart - An LGBT magazine.
- Defender Network - Originally the Houston Defender, an African-American newspaper founded in 1930.
- KUHF - Public radio station.
- La Voz - Spanish-language newspaper.
- The Paper - Online news for The Woodlands, Spring, Conroe and northern Houston.
- The Venture - Online collegiate newspaper with Latino perspectives.
Oral History Collection - LSC-NH
Recorded oral histories from neighborhoods and communities located in and around the Houston area. Student researchers contacted individuals in the area or a particular community, and asked them to reminisce. The oral histories were recorded and transcribed.
Video Introduction to MLA 8 (7 min)
- 2016 MLA 8 two-page short
- MLA 8 Style Works Cited (PDF, 9 pgs.) uploaded August 8, 2016
- MLA 8 Containers Worksheet (1 pg.) Structured template to create citations
MLA 7Video Introduction to MLA 7 (7 min)
- MLA Herding Cats Sample Paper (2015)
- Citing Government Information (from LSC-North Harris)
- Diana Hacker's Sample Paper (Bedford/St. Martin's Press)
- Diana Hacker's List of Works Cited (Bedford/St. Martin's Press)
- MLA In-Text Citations (Purdue Online Writing Lab)
- MLA Style Center (Writing Resources from the Modern Language Association, covering 8th edition)