Market Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- name of a company/competitor: Frito Lay
- name of a product/brand: Lays Potato Chips
- industry: 311919 "other snack food manufacturing"
- demographics (to help you determine location/marketing stragety for your product)
|Find company contact information, and company reports (filings, key facts, employees, major products, revenue, SWOT, top competitors, locations, subsidiaries).||Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.|
Find Company Reports
- Business Source Complete - find company and industry reports Video Tutorial
- EDGAR Database (free web) - filings on publicly traded companies submitted to the Securities and Exchage Commission
Find News Articles and Additional Databasases
- Academic Search Complete - for articlesVideo Tutorial
- ProQuest's National Newspapers Core - for articles Video Tutorial
- eBook Collection - for e-books Video Tutorial
- Films on Demand - for streaming videos
- Forbes Lists (free web) - ranked lists of people, companies, and industries from Forbes magazine
- Fortune rankings (free web) - ranked lists of people, companies, and industries from Fortune magazine
For additional business databases see Research Databases: Business
Located on the third floor of the library.
Find Company Information
- D&B Regional Business Directory - Houston Area REF HG 4058 .H68 D86 2011
- Hoover's Handbook of American Business REF HG4057 .A28617
Find Trade Associations
- Encyclopedia of Associations REF HS17 .G334 - includes contact information including Web site addresses
Demographics and Additional Statistical Information
- American Fact Finder - provides profiles for states, counties, cities, congressional districts, and more from the U.S. Census Bureau
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - collects data on prices and expenditures, employment and other topics. See also: Consumer Expenditure Surveys
- ZIP Code Business Patterns – provides business data by zip code.
ZIP Codes in North Houston and Montgomery County:
- Aldine-North Loop-Greenspoint —77016, 022, 026, 028, 032, 037, 038, 039, 050, 060, 073, 076, 078, 086, 088, 091, 093, 396
- FM 1960-Spring-Klein —77014, 066, 067, 068, 090, 373, 379, 388, 389
- Humble-Atascocita-Northeast —77336, 337, 338, 346, 347, 357, 358, 365, 372, 390, 391, 396
- Northwest-Cy-Fair —77040, 041, 064, 065, 069, 070, 095, 429, 433, 447, 484
- Tomball-Magnolia —77353, 354, 355, 362, 375
- South Montgomery County —77380, 381, 382, 384, 385, 386
- North Montgomery County -- 77301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 327, 328, 333, 356, 378
Industry Classification Codes
- NAICS Search(North American Industry Classification System) - from US Census Bureau - find industry classification code
- SIC (Standard Industrial Classification) - (replaced by NAICS) from the US Department of Labor
- Keep track of all of the information and sources you used during your research.
- Ask your professor about the required citation style.
- Consult Citation Help Guide from LSC-North Harris Library to help you construct your citations.
Each citation should answer the questions:
- Who wrote the material you are using?
- What did the author(s) entitle the piece he/she/they wrote?
- Where and when was it published (for a book, what city; for an article, which periodical)?
- If it's an article or a chapter, what pages is your source on?