Market Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- Think about your topic and what are you trying to answer. Terms? People? Organizations? Places? Objects?
- List terms that best represent the main concepts of your topic.
- name of a company/competitor: Frito Lay
- name of a product/brand: Lays Potato Chips
- industry: 311919 "other snack food manufacturing"
- demographics (to help you determine location/marketing stragety for your product)
Find company contact information, and company reports (filings, key facts, employees, major products, revenue, SWOT, top competitors, locations, subsidiaries).
Find company and industry reports. Video Tutorial
Contains thousands of articles on almost all subjects. (Video Tutorial)
For additional business databases see Research Databases: Business
Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access (the number is on the back of your student ID). Don't have an ID? Get one from the library. Distance students can fill out the online request form.
Identify your potential customers by location. Learn basic demographic information to target your marketing campaing.
- American Fact Finder - provides profiles for states, counties, cities, congressional districts, and more from the U.S. Census Bureau
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - collects data on prices and expenditures, employment and other topics. See also: Consumer Expenditure Surveys
- ZIP Code Business Patterns provides business data by zip code.
ZIP Codes in North Houston and Montgomery County:
- Aldine-North Loop-Greenspoint 77016, 022, 026, 028, 032, 037, 038, 039, 050, 060, 073, 076, 078, 086, 088, 091, 093, 396
- FM 1960-Spring-Klein 77014, 066, 067, 068, 090, 373, 379, 388, 389
- Humble-Atascocita-Northeast 77336, 337, 338, 346, 347, 357, 358, 365, 372, 390, 391, 396
- Northwest-Cy-Fair 77040, 041, 064, 065, 069, 070, 095, 429, 433, 447, 484
- Tomball-Magnolia 77353, 354, 355, 362, 375
- South Montgomery County 77380, 381, 382, 384, 385, 386
- North Montgomery County -- 77301, 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 327, 328, 333, 356, 378
Multi-subject electronic book collection (Video tutorial)
- Enter search terms.
- Browse search results and click on the title to view the detailed item record.
- Scroll to the bottom for availability, collection, location, and call number.
- To find the book on the shelf you will need the complete call number.
- To request a book from another location, click "Place Hold" then type in your library barcode number and your PIN.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
- Thomas Register of American Manufacturers - directory of manufacturers; requires free registration
- EDGAR Database (free web) - filings on publicly traded companies submitted to the Securities and Exchange Commission
Industry Classification Codes
- NAICS Search(North American Industry Classification System) - from US Census Bureau - find industry classification code
- SIC (Standard Industrial Classification) - (replaced by NAICS) from the US Department of Labor
- Keep track of all of the information and sources you used during your research.
- Ask your professor about the required citation style.
- Consult Citation Help Guide from LSC-North Harris Library to help you construct your citations.
Each citation should answer the questions:
- Who wrote the material you are using?
- What did the author(s) entitle the piece he/she/they wrote?
- Where and when was it published (for a book, what city; for an article, which periodical)?
- If it's an article or a chapter, what pages is your source on?