Nursing Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- National Student Nurses Association
- Writing in Nursing - from the Purdue University OWL
- NCLEX Preparation Tips for taking the test and a few free test questions with feedback from Springhouse, publisher of nursing journals.
- NCLEX Course Review - more tips for taking the NCLEX, plus 40 free practice questions.
- National Council on State Boards of Nursing
- Nursing Podcasts that help you prepare for NCLEX-RN are a feature in the database STAT!Ref.(Scroll down until you see the podcasts in the lower right section of the page.)
- Texas Board of Nursing - NCLEX information, search acts and regulations related to nursing.
- Texas Nursing Practice Act
- BoardVitals NCLEX review - sign up for an account using your Lone Star College (@my.lonestar.edu) email address to access a large question bank of review questions for the NCLEX-RN and NCLEX-PN board exams.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - From the NIH, Clinical Practice Guidelines, Quick Reference Guides for Clinicians, and Consumer Guides.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - The journals Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) and Emerging Infectious Diseases are on this site as well as extensive guidelines on infection control, immunizations, and hazardous substances.
- iTriage - website and free app with content from Harvard Medical School.
- WebMD includes a broad range of health information as well as some interesting features, like an online symptom checker (meant for consumers).
- Allnurses.com - Search this site using their search engine and go directly to their links to web sites for nursing and diseases. This site also has a collection of medical search tools.
- NursingWorld - American Nurses Association
- NursingCenter.com - from Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (publisher of the American Journal of Nursing)
- Nurse.com - news and resources for practicing nurses
- Nursing, History, and Health Care - from the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
- National Library of Medicine: Online Oral Histories - collections of oral histories recorded from various medical professionals from late 19th century onward.
Multicultural health care RA 418
Transcultural nursing RT 86.54
- Guide to Culturally Competent Health Care by Purnell is available in the database STAT!Ref.
- Standards of Practice for Culturally Competent Nursing Care
- Culturally Competent Nursing Modules - from the U.S. DHHS site Think Cultural Health
- Diversity Rx - provides information related to meeting the health care needs of immigrants, refugees, and ethnic groups
- EthnoMed and Culture Clues - tips from the University of Washington about immigrant groups in the Seattle WA area
- A Healthcare Provider's Guide to Islamic Religious Practices
- National Library of Medicine: American Indian Health
- Indian Health Service
- MedlinePlus: Population Groups
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services: Office of Minority Health
- The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People
- MedlinePlus - a database maintained by the NIH's National Library of Medicine, it offers much of its content in Spanish as well as English
- NIH (National Institutes of Health) - Connect here to get to the many institutes (e.g., NCI, NIMH, NIDDK) that fall under the jurisdiction of the NIH. Specialty sites for various diseases and disorders offer a rich repository of information. Use the NIH search engine to find specific information.
- NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders) - contains hard-to-find information about diseases that afflict relatively small numbers of people.
See the LSC-NH Library research guide for Diseases, Disorders, Conditions & Syndromes for a complete list of resources.
- MedlinePlus - a database maintained by the NIH's National Library of Medicine, offers much of its content in Spanish and some information in 47 other languages.
- CareNotes from the database Micromedex provides patient information about drugs in 15 different languages. When you reach the front page of Micromedex, click on CareNotes System.
- Films on Demand provides some patient education videos; be careful to choose the ones meant for consumers (e.g., "Chronic Kidney Disease: Are You at Risk?") and not the ones meant for professionals (e.g., "Caring for People with Renal Impairment").
- MayoClinic.com, updated daily and sponsored by the noted Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, provides health updates and preventative care information.
- National Council against Health Fraud, a non-profit health agency that locates fraud, misinformation and quackery as public health problems, features position papers and links to information on erroneous and misleading health claims.
- National Health Information Center - part of the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; provides toll-free phone numbers for health information, patient support groups, and links to related websites.
Resumes, Cover Letters, etc.
- The Riley Guide is one of the best Career guides on the net. There are 2 pages that will help you:
Resumes, Cover Letters, & Other Job Search Correspondence
Cover Letters and Other Correspondence
- Rivier University offers tips specific to nurses on its Career Development Center website
- ANA's Nurse's Career Center Profession Kit has expert advice for you
- From Monster.com, Healthcare Cover Letter Do's and Don'ts
- The complete guide to resume writing for nursing students and alumni - Mary M. Somers, John Hopkins University
- Action Verbs to use in your resume from Michigan State University
- I-resign has a number of useful letter templates and scores of examples of very bad letters of resignation (don't copy these!!)
- Lippincott's Nursing Center offers Resume Do's and Don'ts for nurses
- Nurse.com Career Advice Blog
Use the Health & Medicine Research Databases on/off campus to locate nursing-related articles.
If Lone Star College-North Harris Library does not have the journal you seek, the article may be obtained through interlibrary loan.
Bookmark & ShareXClose AddThis Expanded Menu
Video Introduction to APA (7 min)
- APA Herding Cats Sample Paper 2014
- APA Formatting and Style Guide (includes in-text citations and references) (Purdue OWL)
- Diana Hacker's Social Sciences (Bedford/St. Martin's)
- APA Citation - In-Text & References Interactive Practice (Monica Norem)
Formatting a Research Paper in Microsoft Word