Nursing Research Guide - LSC-North Harris
- National Student Nurses Association
- Writing in Nursing - from the Purdue University OWL
- NCLEX Preparation Tips for taking the test and a few free test questions with feedback from Springhouse, publisher of nursing journals.
- NCLEX Course Review - more tips for taking the NCLEX, plus 40 free practice questions.
- National Council on State Boards of Nursing
- Nursing Podcasts that help you prepare for NCLEX-RN are a feature in the database STAT!Ref.(Scroll down until you see the podcasts in the lower right section of the page.)
- Texas Board of Nursing - NCLEX information, search acts and regulations related to nursing.
- Texas Nursing Practice Act
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality - From the NIH, Clinical Practice Guidelines, Quick Reference Guides for Clinicians, and Consumer Guides.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - The journals Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) and Emerging Infectious Diseases are on this site as well as extensive guidelines on infection control, immunizations, and hazardous substances.
- iTriage - website and free app with content from Harvard Medical School.
- WebMD includes a broad range of health information as well as some interesting features, like an online symptom checker (meant for consumers).
- Allnurses.com - Search this site using their search engine and go directly to their links to web sites for nursing and diseases. This site also has a collection of medical search tools.
- NursingWorld - American Nurses Association
- NursingCenter.com - from Lippincott Williams & Wilkins (publisher of the American Journal of Nursing)
- Nurse.com - news and resources for practicing nurses
- Nursing, History, and Health Care - from the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing
- National Library of Medicine: Online Oral Histories - collections of oral histories recorded from various medical professionals from late 19th century onward.
Transcultural nursing RT 86.54
- Guide to Culturally Competent Health Care by Purnell is available in the database STAT!Ref.
- Standards of Practice for Culturally Competent Nursing Care
- Culturally Competent Nursing Modules - from the U.S. DHHS site Think Cultural Health
- Diversity Rx - provides information related to meeting the health care needs of immigrants, refugees, and ethnic groups
- EthnoMed and Culture Clues - tips from the University of Washington about immigrant groups in the Seattle WA area
- A Healthcare Provider's Guide to Islamic Religious Practices
- National Library of Medicine: American Indian Health
- Indian Health Service
- MedlinePlus: Population Groups
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services: Office of Minority Health
- The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People
- MedlinePlus - a database maintained by the NIH's National Library of Medicine, it offers much of its content in Spanish as well as English
- NIH (National Institutes of Health) - Connect here to get to the many institutes (e.g., NCI, NIMH, NIDDK) that fall under the jurisdiction of the NIH. Specialty sites for various diseases and disorders offer a rich repository of information. Use the NIH search engine to find specific information.
- NORD (National Organization for Rare Disorders) - contains hard-to-find information about diseases that afflict relatively small numbers of people.
See the LSC-NH Library research guide for Diseases, Disorders, Conditions & Syndromes for a complete list of resources.
- MedlinePlus - a database maintained by the NIH's National Library of Medicine, offers much of its content in Spanish and some information in 47 other languages.
- CareNotes from the database Micromedex provides patient information about drugs in 15 different languages. When you reach the front page of Micromedex, click on CareNotes System.
- Films on Demand provides some patient education videos; be careful to choose the ones meant for consumers (e.g., "Chronic Kidney Disease: Are You at Risk?") and not the ones meant for professionals (e.g., "Caring for People with Renal Impairment").
- MayoClinic.com, updated daily and sponsored by the noted Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, provides health updates and preventative care information.
- National Council against Health Fraud, a non-profit health agency that locates fraud, misinformation and quackery as public health problems, features position papers and links to information on erroneous and misleading health claims.
- National Health Information Center - part of the Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion; provides toll-free phone numbers for health information, patient support groups, and links to related websites.
Resumes, Cover Letters, etc.
The Riley Guide is one of the best Career guides on the net. There are 2 pages that will help you:
Resumes, Cover Letters, & Other Job Search Correspondence
Cover Letters and Other Correspondence
- Rivier University offers tips specific to nurses on its Career Development Center website
- ANA's Nurse's Career Center Profession Kit has expert advice for you
- From Monster.com, Healthcare Cover Letter Do's and Don'ts
- The complete guide to resume writing for nursing students and alumni - Mary M. Somers, John Hopkins University
- Action Verbs to use in your resume from Michigan State University
- I-resign has a number of useful letter templates and scores of examples of very bad letters of resignation (don't copy these!!)
- Lippincott's Nursing Center offers Resume Do's and Don'ts for nurses
- Nurse.com Career Advice Blog
Use the Health & Medicine Research Databases on/off campus to locate nursing-related articles.
If Lone Star College-North Harris Library does not have the journal you seek, the article may be obtained through interlibrary loan.
Bookmark & ShareXClose AddThis Expanded Menu
- APA Herding Cats Sample Paper 2014
- APA Formatting and Style Guide (includes in-text citations and references) (Purdue OWL)
- Diana Hacker's Social Sciences (Bedford/St. Martin's)
- APA Citation - In-Text & References Interactive Practice (Monica Norem)