Teaching & Learning Guide - LSC-North Harris
Library Skills Instruction
Professors, would you like to embed a librarian online in Desire2Learn? Whether your class is face-to-face, online or a hybrid, an embedded librarian can readily connect with your students. If your students are doing a research project, an embedded librarian can provide online instructions and help to students as a class or individually. If you’re interested, please contact your liaison librarian. [How can faculty embed a librarian? Video Guide | PDF Guide]
You can also add Library 101, our online information literacy course, to your Desire2Learn sections. This is a self-guided course that teaches students how to access, evaluate, and cite information. It takes the form of a Desire2Learn community group. If you would like to learn more, please contact your liaison librarian.
- Adult Learners: Considerations for Education and Training
- Getting Results - Professional Development Course for Community College Educators. Course contains 6 modules for self-study. Module 6 is on Assessing Teaching and Learning.
Stay up-to-date, access the following news sources:
- Chronicle of Higher Education - Access premium content and create your personal account to sign up for newsletters. Direct publisher subscription ends on September 1, 20016. However, you can still continue to get content from this publication via Academic Search Complete, see link below.
- Chronicle of Higher Education - (access via EBSCO - 30 day embargo)
Receive articles in your inbox by creating a Journal Alert to this publication:
- Click on Chronicle of Higher Education (if off-campus, enter your 14-digit library barcode number)
- Click on the Share button (find it onfar right).
- Click on E-mail Alert.
- Click on Sign In with your My EBSCOhost account, or create one if you don't have one, its free.
- Click on Advanced Settings (located at the bottom of the window).
- Select a time frame to run the alert (one year is recommended).
- Under Alert options, select "Alert on full text only."
- Enter your e-mail address.
- Click on Save.
Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access.
Use the Library Catalog to find books, videos, and more.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
- Collaborative Learning Techniques (print book)
- First Time in the College Classroom: A Guide for Teaching Assistants, Instructors, and New Professors at All Colleges and Universities (ebook)
- Learner-Centered Teaching: Five Key Changes to Practice (ebook)
- Teaching for Critical Thinking (print book)
- What the Best College Teachers Do (print book)
- Assessment of Student Achievement (print book)
- Creating & Recognizing Quality Rubrics (print book)
- Effective Grading: A Tools for Learning and Assessment in College (print book)
- Copyright Clarity: How Fair Use Supports Digital Learning (print book)
- Copyright Law Handbook (ebook)
- Disabled Students in Education: Technology, Transition, and Inclusivity (print book)
- Higher Education and First Generation Students (print book)
- Marginalized Students (ebook)
- Student Success in Community Colleges: A Practical Guide to Developmental Education (print book)
- Understanding the Digital Generation (print book)