Teaching & Learning Guide - LSC-North Harris
Library Skills Instruction
Professors, would you like to embed a librarian online in Desire2Learn? Whether your class is face-to-face, online or a hybrid, an embedded librarian can readily connect with your students. If your students are doing a research project, an embedded librarian can provide online instructions and help to students as a class or individually. If you’re interested, please contact your liaison librarian. [How can faculty embed a librarian? Video Guide | PDF Guide]
You can also add Library 101, our online information literacy course, to your Desire2Learn sections. This is a self-guided course that teaches students how to access, evaluate, and cite information. It takes the form of a Desire2Learn community group. If you would like to learn more, please contact your liaison librarian.
- Adult Learners: Considerations for Education and Training
- Getting Results - Professional Development Course for Community College Educators. Course contains 6 modules for self-study. Module 6 is on Assessing Teaching and Learning.
Stay up-to-date, access the following news sources:
- Chronicle of Higher Education - Premium access is no longer provided by LSCS, however you can still access great free content and create your personal account to sign up for e-newsletters.
- Chronicle of Higher Education - (access via EBSCO - 30 day embargo)
Receive articles in your inbox by creating a Journal Alert to this publication Quick Steps | Video Guide
- Click on Chronicle of Higher Education (if off-campus, enter your 14-digit library barcode number)
- Click on the Share button (find it onfar right).
- Click on E-mail Alert.
- Click on Sign In with your My EBSCOhost account, or create one if you don't have one, its free.
- Click on Advanced Settings (located at the bottom of the window).
- Select a time frame to run the alert (one year is recommended).
- Under Alert options, select "Alert on full text only."
- Enter your e-mail address.
- Click on Save.
- Inside Higher Ed
- Faculty Focus
Use your 14-digit library barcode number for off-campus access.
Use the Library Catalog to find books, videos, and more.
Library Catalog Video Tutorials
- Collaborative Learning Techniques (print book)
- First Time in the College Classroom: A Guide for Teaching Assistants, Instructors, and New Professors at All Colleges and Universities (ebook)
- Learner-Centered Teaching: Five Key Changes to Practice (ebook)
- Teaching for Critical Thinking (print book)
- What the Best College Teachers Do (print book)
- Assessment of Student Achievement (print book)
- Creating & Recognizing Quality Rubrics (print book)
- Effective Grading: A Tools for Learning and Assessment in College (print book)
- Copyright Clarity: How Fair Use Supports Digital Learning (print book)
- Copyright Law Handbook (ebook)
- Disabled Students in Education: Technology, Transition, and Inclusivity (print book)
- Higher Education and First Generation Students (print book)
- Marginalized Students (ebook)
- Student Success in Community Colleges: A Practical Guide to Developmental Education (print book)
- Understanding the Digital Generation (print book)