The LSC-North Harris Library offers these tutorial videos as a way for library users to learn how to use our resources. Each video is followed by a quiz, testing what you've learned. The videos are in Flash file format. If they don't work on your computer, click here to download Adobe Flash Player for free. You can also watch a YouTube version of each video. The scripts are in PDF format. If they don't work on your computer, click here to download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free.
Information as a Concept
1. What Is Information? | YouTube | 3:05 | script | What does it mean for something to be information? This video answers that question.
2. Evaluating Information | YouTube | 6:32 | script | Are you using accurate information? This video gives you tips on being a discerning customer of information.
3. Evaluating Information on the Internet | YouTube | 6:27 | script | How can you distinguish between good and bad information on the Internet? This video tells you specific things to look for.
Books and Other Circulating Materials at the Library
4. Searching the Library Catalog | YouTube | 3:48 | script | This video explains how to search the library catalog.
5. Locating a Book in the Library | YouTube | 4:28 | script | This video tells you how to find a physical item, such as a book, in the library.
6. Placing a Hold on an Item in the Library Catalog | YouTube | 1:29 | script | You can request an item from any library in our system.
7. Checking Out, Renewing, and Returning Books | YouTube | 3:50 | script | This video will show you how to take materials home from the library.
Part C: Library Research Databases
8. Using Research Databases -- An Introduction | YouTube | 1:53 | script | This video will show you how to use library databases, both on campus and off.
9. What Are Scholarly Journals? | YouTube | 5:15 | script | This video explains the differences between magazines and scholarly journals.
10. How to Search Multiple EBSCO Databases Simultaneously | YouTube | 2: 39 | script
11. Using Academic Search Complete | YouTube | 3:23 | script |
12. Using Biography Reference Bank | YouTube | 4:20 | script |
13. Using Bloom's Literary Reference Online | YouTube | 2:12 | script |
14. Using Business Abstracts with Full Text | YouTube | 2:49 | script |
- 15. Using Business Source Complete | YouTube | 3:32 | script |
- 16. Using CQ Researcher | YouTube | 2:10 | script |
- 17. Using the eBook Collection | YouTube | 7:52 | script |
18. Using History Study Center | YouTube | 4:32 | script |
19. Using Issues & Controversies | YouTube | 2:51 | script |
20. Using JSTOR | YouTube | 3:41 | script |
21. Using Literary Reference Center | YouTube | 3:11 | script |
22. Using Opposing Viewpoints in Context | YouTube | 3:06 | script |
23. Using Oxford Art Online | YouTube | 3:46 | script |
24. Using Oxford Music Online | YouTube | 3:12 | script |
25. Using ProQuest Ebook Central | 4:25 | YouTube | script |
26. Using the Small Business Reference Center | YouTube | 3:20 | script |
27. Using the Statistical Abstract of the United States | YouTube | 3:38 | script |
28. Using US Major Dailies | YouTube | 2:16 | script |
29. Using STAT!Ref | YouTube | 1:41 | script |
Free Online Databases
30. Using Google Books | YouTube | 4:19 | script |
31. Using Google Scholar | YouTube | 5:15 | script |
Citing Your Sources
32. Citing Your Sources in MLA Style (8th Ed.) | YouTube | 6:41 | script |
33. Advanced MLA: Citing Webpages and Tweets
34. Citing Your Sources in APA Style | YouTube | 7:00 | script |
35. Citing Your Sources in the Chicago Style | YouTube | 5:47 | script |
36. About Plagiarism | YouTube | 4:16 | script |
37. How to Avoid Fake News | YouTube | 10:08 | script |