Study Abroad Photo Contest - LSC-CyFair
2017 Award Winners!
Purpose of This Award:
There are myriad advantages to Study Abroad programs: personal growth; increased understanding of other cultures; language and career development; friendships and contacts; and the opportunity to see and experience the beauty and diversity of other countries. We are looking for photos that capture the students view of his/her LSC-CyFair Study Abroad experience.
Learn Award-Winning Photography Techniques - Make Your Photos Outstanding:
Travel Photography Tips
Suggestions include researching your destination in advance and noting your first reactions to new locations.
How to Become a Better Street Photographer
Tips include taking advantage of different lighting situations and using the rule of thirds to create memorable photos.
Who May Enter:
Any student who participated in an LSC-CyFair Study Abroad program during the current year.
Each Entry Must Comply with the Following Requirements:
- Photographs must be in digital format. Only online entries will be eligible. No print or film submissions will be accepted for entry into this contest. All digital files must be 8 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels width (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels length (if a vertical image). Upload directly from your photo files using the form below. Do not copy from your social media post (e.g. Instagram, Facebook, etc.).
- Photographs should be submitted with each completed embedded entry form found on this web page.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a brief description of where and when the photograph was taken.
- Students must select one of the following themes below for each photograph entered. The same theme may be used for more than one entry.
- Importance of Place: focus on common or uncommon settings, people, or events and their value to the quality of life in that area
- Cultural Insight: focus on unique aspects of a locale and its inhabitants
- Learning from the World: focus on the impact of this travel experience that has strengthened or changed your views on a subject
- Past Meets the Present: focus on historical features or locations that are timeless in their simplicity or detail
- Personal Connection: focus on how an event or place relates to your Lone Star College-CyFair experience
- Photographs must have been taken by the student during that year's LSC-CyFair Study Abroad program.
- Cropping and minor exposure (e.g., brightness or darkness) corrections are acceptable.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted; however, when photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close-up of another person's art.
- The photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the contest entrant. By entering the contest, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant.
- The photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of Lone Star College System, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
- By submitting photographs for the LSC-CyFair Study Abroad Photo Contest, the student agrees and warrants that:
- Each photograph becomes the property of Lone Star College System and will not be returned.
- Each photograph is an original work created solely by the student entrant.
- Lone Star College System is hereby authorized to reproduce, distribute, and display entered photographs with a name credit.
- Student entrants waive all rights to fees and royalties associated with this material.
How to Enter:
- Each entry requires completion of the embedded form on this web page and an upload of each .jpg or .jpeg image. Each entrant may submit entries at different times before the deadline listed below, but entrants may submit no more than five (5) entries.
- Use an Internet-enabled portable device (e.g., smartphone), laptop, or desktop computer to complete the embedded form and upload each photo.
Deadline for Entries:
All entries must be submitted electronically using the embedded form below and received no later than July 11, 2018. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt. You should receive confirmation email of your entry within 72 hours. If you do not receive confirmation within 72 hours, please send an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The library will recognize first, second, and third place winners by providing them with an award in the amounts listed below. Each entrant is eligible for only one cash prize. The Friends of the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library have generously provided funding for this award. In addition, the winning entries will be exhibited in the library for a period of several years.
- First place - $200.00 plus a matted 8 X 10 print of the winning photo
- Second place - $100.00 plus a matted 8 X 10 print of the winning photo
- Third place - $50.00 plus a matted 8 X 10 print of the winning photo
- Entries will be reviewed and prizes awarded by a panel of judges selected by the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library.
- Decisions of the judges are final and binding.
- Creativity (40%)
- Photographic quality (40%)
- Title, description, and relevancy to photo theme chosen (20%)
The Friends of the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library have generously provided funding for this award. All of the photos entered will be displayed in the library during the month of November, and the winning entries will be exhibited in the library for a period of one year.
Contest Winners - 2016
- First place Chelsea Narrow - "Swedish Waltz" (Sweden)
Student of Rob Coyle
- Second place Mario Torres - "Rhythmic Motion" (Belize)
Student of Buck Buchanan
- Third place Camila Téllez - "Je Suis Charlie" (Germany)
Student of Kelly Schimmel
Contest Winners - 2015
- First place Ala'a Ibrahim - Tears Frozen in Time
- Second place Alejandro Ezquerra - Music from Other World
- Third place Skyeler Aguado - The Tico Life
Contest Winners - 2014
- First place Jennifer Moore - In the Hopper
- Second place Silvia Pineros - Rain, Rain, No Sprinkles
- Third place Jamie Hackbarth - Got Volcano?
Contest Winners - 2013
- First place Elizabeth Villarreal - Tanzanian Best Soccer Player (Tanzania)
- Second place An Nguyen - Anchoring on Serenity (Tanzania)
- Third place Stephanie Hernandez - Maasai Young Lady (Tanzania)
Contest Winners - 2012
- First place Marilyn Ferguson - Ancient Walmart (Italy)
- Second place Alex Tompkins - The Rainforest (Costa Rica)
- Third place Mamisi Gordon - Praying or Peddling (Italy)
Contest Winners - 2011
First place Michelle Martinez, Time Left Standing
Second place Jassir Hernandez, Yellow Mountain
Third place Martha Ocampo, Belly of Hongcun
Contest Winners - 2010
- First place Lindsay Green, Footprints on the Sands of Time
- Second place Kate Anderson, Vatican Museum Staircase
- Third place Meredith Thibodeaux, Stopped Motion
Contact the LSC-CyFair Library: chat | e-mail | voice - 281.290.3214 | text - 832.463.0478
Maintained by: A. Korah & M. Norem-Reference Librarians
email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org