Reflections of Study Abroad Photography Contest - LSC-CyFair
2014 Reflections of Study Abroad Photography Contest Winners!
- 1st place – Jennifer Moore - In the Hopper
- 2nd place – Silvia Pineros - Rain, Rain, No Sprinkles
- 3rd place – Jamie Hackbarth - Got Volcano?
Purpose of This Award:
There are myriad advantages to Study Abroad programs: personal growth; increased understanding of other cultures; language and career development; friendships and contacts; and the opportunity to see and experience the beauty and diversity of other countries. We are looking for photos that capture the student’s view of his/her LSC-CyFair Study Abroad experience.
Who May Enter:
Any student who participated in a Study Abroad program during the current year.
- Each entry consists of an entry form and a single image. Each entrant may submit entries at different times during the entry period, but entrants may submit no more than 20 (twenty) entries.
- For each photo submitted, complete a Photography Contest Entry Form (fillable PDF) using only Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Safari web browsers.
- Save each entry form to your computer, and submit along with your photograph to firstname.lastname@example.org in accordance with the instructions.
All entries must be submitted electronically (Photography Contest Entry Form (fillable PDF) and photo) to email@example.com and received no later than August 10, 2015. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt. You should receive confirmation email of your entry within 72 hours. If you do not receive confirmation within 72 hours, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Each Entry Must Comply with the Following Requirements:
- Photographs must be in digital format. Only online entries will be eligible. No print or film submissions will be accepted for entry into this contest. All digital files must be 8 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels width (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels length (if a vertical image).
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a brief description of where and when the photograph was taken.
- Photographs must have been taken by the student during that year's LSC-CyFair Study Abroad program.
- Cropping and minor color corrections are acceptable.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted; however, when photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close-up of another person's art.
- The photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the contest entrant. By entering the contest, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant.
- The photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of Lone Star College System, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
- By submitting photographs for the LSC-CyFair Reflections of Study Abroad Photography Contest, the student agrees and warrants that:
- Each photograph becomes the property of Lone Star College System and will not be returned.
- Each photograph is an original work created solely by the student entrant.
- Lone Star College System is hereby authorized to reproduce, distribute, and display entered photographs with a name credit.
- Student entrants waive all rights to fees and royalties associated with this material.
The library will recognize first, second, and third place winners by providing them with an award in the amounts listed below. Each entrant is eligible for only one cash prize. The Friends of the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library have generously provided funding for this award. In addition, the winning entries will be exhibited in the library for a period of several years.
- First place - $200.00
- Second place - $100.00
- Third place - $50.00
- Entries will be reviewed and prizes awarded by a panel of judges selected by the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library.
- Decisions of the judges are final and binding.
- Creativity (50%)
- Photographic quality (50%)
The Friends of the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library have generously provided funding for this award. All of the photos entered will be displayed in the library during the month of November, and the winning entries will be exhibited in the library for a period of one year.
Reflections of Study Abroad Photography Contest Winners - 2013
- 1st place – Elizabeth Villarreal - Tanzanian Best Soccer Player (Tanzania)
- 2nd place – An Nguyen - Anchoring on Serenity (Tanzania)
- 3rd place – Stephanie Hernandez - Maasai Young Lady (Tanzania)
Reflections of Study Abroad Photography Contest Winners - 2012
- 1st place – Marilyn Ferguson - Ancient Walmart (Italy)
- 2nd place – Alex Tompkins - The Rainforest (Costa Rica)
- 3rd place – Mamisi Gordon - Praying or Peddling (Italy)
Reflections of Study Abroad Photography Contest Winners - 2011
1st place – Michelle Martinez, Time Left Standing
2nd place – Jassir Hernandez, Yellow Mountain
3rd place – Martha Ocampo, Belly of Hongcun
Reflections of Study Abroad Photography Contest Winners - 2010
- 1st place – Lindsay Green, Footprints on the Sands of Time
- 2nd place – Kate Anderson, Vatican Museum Staircase
- 3rd place – Meredith Thibodeaux, Stopped Motion
International Flavor of Houston Photography Contest Winners - 2010
1st place – Abbas Batliwala, “All For a Cause”
(A mass of people from many parts of the world ranging in different nationalities get together for a walkathon in Downtown Houston to support the cause for AIDS on Sunday, March 14, 2010. The sunlight projects as a spotlight on the supporters of the cause as well as the AIDS logo.)
2nd place – Ashley Richardson, “At a Stand Still”
(This photo was taken in November 2009 at Lone Star College. In this photo I was able to catch the art of Houston style dancing! These guys practice all the time on their art! Just being able to catch them all in a different pose just made the photo even more wonderful!!)
3rd place – Randy Olive, “Tu Bi Quan Am Dao Trang Temple”
(This is a photo in front of Tu Bi Quan Am Dao Trang Temple on Mueschke road about 2 miles from 290. When I heard of this contest I thought a picture from this location would be perfect. Here is a temple that is located in rural, suburban, Houston. It is across from a farm: to me it is a great juxtaposition of a foreign religion mixed right into the Christian culture of the Bible Belt.)
Contact the LSC-CyFair Library: chat | e-mail | voice - 281.290.3214 | text - 832.463.0478
Maintained by: A. Korah & M. Norem-Reference Librarians
firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com