Reflections of Study Abroad Photography Contest - LSC-CyFair
2016 Award Winners Announced!
First place Chelsea Narrow - "Swedish Waltz" (Sweden)
Honorable Mention for "Exploration"
Student of Rob Coyle
Second place Mario Torres - "Rhythmic Motion" (Belize)
Student of Buck Buchanan
Third place Camila Téllez - "Je Suis Charlie" (Germany)
Honorable Mention for "Stinging Past"
Student of Kelly Schimmel
Purpose of This Award:
There are myriad advantages to Study Abroad programs: personal growth; increased understanding of other cultures; language and career development; friendships and contacts; and the opportunity to see and experience the beauty and diversity of other countries. We are looking for photos that capture the students view of his/her LSC-CyFair Study Abroad experience.
Who May Enter:
Any student who participated in a Study Abroad program during the current year.
- Each entry consists of an entry form and a single image. Each entrant may submit entries at different times during the entry period, but entrants may submit no more than 20 (twenty) entries.
- For each photo submitted, complete a Photography Contest Entry Form (fillable PDF) using only Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Safari web browsers.
- Save each entry form to your computer, and submit along with your photograph in a separate attachment to email@example.com in accordance with the instructions.
All entries must be submitted electronically (Photography Contest Entry Form (fillable PDF) and photo) to firstname.lastname@example.org and received no later than Summer 2017 TBA. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt. You should receive confirmation email of your entry within 72 hours. If you do not receive confirmation within 72 hours, please send an email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each Entry Must Comply with the Following Requirements:
- Photographs must be in digital format. Only online entries will be eligible. No print or film submissions will be accepted for entry into this contest. All digital files must be 8 megabytes or smaller, must be in JPEG or JPG format, and must be at least 1,600 pixels width (if a horizontal image) or 1,600 pixels length (if a vertical image).
- Photographs should be submitted in separate attachments added to the emailed entry form.
- Each photograph must be accompanied by a brief description of where and when the photograph was taken.
- Photographs must have been taken by the student during that year's LSC-CyFair Study Abroad program.
- Cropping and minor color corrections are acceptable.
- Photographs that include sculptures, statues, paintings, and other works of art will be accepted; however, when photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close-up of another person's art.
- The photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the contest entrant. By entering the contest, entrant represents, acknowledges, and warrants that the submitted photograph is an original work created solely by the entrant.
- The photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of Lone Star College System, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit, or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content.
- By submitting photographs for the LSC-CyFair Reflections of Study Abroad Photography Contest, the student agrees and warrants that:
- Each photograph becomes the property of Lone Star College System and will not be returned.
- Each photograph is an original work created solely by the student entrant.
- Lone Star College System is hereby authorized to reproduce, distribute, and display entered photographs with a name credit.
- Student entrants waive all rights to fees and royalties associated with this material.
The library will recognize first, second, and third place winners by providing them with an award in the amounts listed below. Each entrant is eligible for only one cash prize. The Friends of the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library have generously provided funding for this award. In addition, the winning entries will be exhibited in the library for a period of several years.
- First place - $200.00
- Second place - $100.00
- Third place - $50.00
- Entries will be reviewed and prizes awarded by a panel of judges selected by the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library.
- Decisions of the judges are final and binding.
- Creativity (50%)
- Photographic quality (50%)
The Friends of the Lone Star College-CyFair Branch Library have generously provided funding for this award. All of the photos entered will be displayed in the library during the month of November, and the winning entries will be exhibited in the library for a period of one year.
Contest Winners - 2015
- First place Ala'a Ibrahim - Tears Frozen in Time
- Second place Alejandro Ezquerra - Music from Other World
- Third place Skyeler Aguado - The Tico Life
Contest Winners - 2014
- First place Jennifer Moore - In the Hopper
- Second place Silvia Pineros - Rain, Rain, No Sprinkles
- Third place Jamie Hackbarth - Got Volcano?
Contest Winners - 2013
- First place Elizabeth Villarreal - Tanzanian Best Soccer Player (Tanzania)
- Second place An Nguyen - Anchoring on Serenity (Tanzania)
- Third place Stephanie Hernandez - Maasai Young Lady (Tanzania)
Contest Winners - 2012
- First place Marilyn Ferguson - Ancient Walmart (Italy)
- Second place Alex Tompkins - The Rainforest (Costa Rica)
- Third place Mamisi Gordon - Praying or Peddling (Italy)
Contest Winners - 2011
First place Michelle Martinez, Time Left Standing
Second place Jassir Hernandez, Yellow Mountain
Third place Martha Ocampo, Belly of Hongcun
Contest Winners - 2010
- First place Lindsay Green, Footprints on the Sands of Time
- Second place Kate Anderson, Vatican Museum Staircase
- Third place Meredith Thibodeaux, Stopped Motion
Contact the LSC-CyFair Library: chat | e-mail | voice - 281.290.3214 | text - 832.463.0478
Maintained by: A. Korah & M. Norem-Reference Librarians
email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org