Mental health is serious topic that directly or indirectly affects all people.
To draw attention to this important issue, Lone Star College-Kingwood will host its fourth Mental Health Awareness series every Wednesday in April. Open to the community, faculty, staff, and students, this series will focus on topics such as eating disorders, postpartum depression, mental health 101 and more.
“Approximately 1 in 4 people suffer from different mental disorders,” said Anthony McMillan, series organizer and library director. “We hope that by providing information, we can increase people’s awareness and provide a better context about mental illness.”
The Mental Health Awareness Series began in 2013 with the hope to discuss important issues and provide treatment options. The goal is to dispel the myths and taboo surrounding mental illness. LSC-Kingwood invites everyone to attend to following events:
- The Eating Recovery Center presents “Eating Disorders” on April 5 at 12:30 p.m. in the Library, room 104.
- “What Do You Want to Talk About?-Open Forum on April 12 at 12:30 p.m. in the Library, room 104.
- The Center for Postpartum Health presents “Postpartum Depression” on April 19 at 12:30 p.m. in the Library, room 104.
- “Dark Side of the Moon”-film screening on April 19 at 6:30 p.m. in Classroom Building A (CLA), room 114.
- Attorney George Parnham will speak on postpartum depression by discussing Andrea Yates and other related cases on April 26 at 12:30 p.m. in the Student Conference Center (SCC).
“We with such a wide range of disorders that people suffer from, we do our best to cover topics that people may encounter on a regular basis, but may not know it,” McMillan said. “We have selected organizations and people who have intimate knowledge on the topics in which they speak.”
For more information on the Mental Health Awareness series at LSC-Kingwood, email Anthony.J.McMillan@LoneStar.edu.
Register now for credit classes online through myLoneStar. Classes are offered days, evenings, or weekends in traditional, Internet, video, TV and independent study formats. For more information on how to register online, visit www.lonestar.edu/registration.
For general information about Lone Star College-Kingwood, call 281.312.1600 or visit http://lonestar.edu/kingwood.htm
Lone Star College offers high-quality, low-cost academic transfer and career training education to 98,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of $3.1 billion. LSC consists of six colleges, eight centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online. To learn more visit LoneStar.edu.