Additional Medical Assisting Program Requirements
Effective Fall 2012 for all Health Occupations Programs, Math placement scores on Compass, ASSET, Accuplacer, and THEA will be valid for three (3) years.
- PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Testing
- Medical Assisting Information Sheet
- Bacterial Meningitis immunization
Prior To Submission Of Application
- If you have not taken classes at a LSC campus within the last year, you must apply to LSCS. If you need assistance with the application process, please contact Student Services at either the LSC-CyFair or LSC-North Harris campus.
- Submit an official transcript from each non-LSCS college or university you have attended to the admissions office at either LSC-CyFair or LSC-North Harris.
• Verify with an advisor or counselor that all college transcripts have been received and evaluated (credit granted for courses transferred).
- Attend a mandatory medical assisting information session as posted on the LSC-CyFair or North Harris Web site.
- Register for and take the PSB Health Occupations Aptitude Test. (LSC-North Harris PSB Form) (LSC-CyFair PSB Form). Follow the directions on the PSB form. Further PSB exam information is available at: http://www.psbtests.com/site/products/hoae.html.
The Application ProcessSubmit a completed application packet to the preferred college medical assisting program. Application deadlines for LSC-North Harris campus are posted on the college website. Applications for LSC-CyFair campus will be accepted from March 7, 2016 through July 21, 2016 at 3:00 p.m.
- Application packet contents:
- Pre-application checklist
- Signed advisor checklist (LSC-CyFair)
- Application to Medical Assisting Program
- Copy of licensure or certification in health care occupation
- Volunteer/work experience documentation in healthcare setting
Your previous or current employer is required to complete and return the volunteer/work experience verification form directly to the program. Please provide them with a stamped envelope addressed to the program director.
If you intend to hand deliver this form to either the LSC-North Harris or the LSC-CyFair campus, your previous or current employer must sign across the seal of the envelope to ensure authenticity.
- High school transcripts or GED certificate
- Copies of official transcripts from each non-LSCS college or university attended
- Copy of My Unofficial Transcripts available through myLoneStar or from an advisor
- Background Check (as required by some clinical affiliates)
- Drug Screening (as required by some clinical affiliates)
- CPR Certification
- Physical Exam
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance
- TB Test
- Health Insurance (as required by some clinical affiliates)
- Documentation of Current Immunizations
- MMR (measles, mumps, rubella)
- Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis)
- Hepatitis B
- Final acceptance into the program is contingent upon a satisfactory background check that is completed by a college approved agency .Clinical facilities may also require completion of a satisfactory drug screening and health insurance. All expenses related to these items are the responsibility of the student. Health insurance information.
- Students accepted into the program are also required to submit proof of required immunizations, TB test, and proof of current CPR certification (2 year healthcare provider type). Students will also be required to have a physical examination. Physical examination form.
The Lonestar College Medical Assistant Programs are accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Medical Assistant Education Review Board (MAERB)
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
1361 Park Street Clearwater, FL 33756 (727) 210-2530
Lone Star College System Policy is consistent with Texas law as to requirements and admission of any resident or non-resident student. For admission and tuition purposes, residency is defined within Texas Education Code §54.052.
In addition, LSCS will notify students prior to, but not as a condition or requirement of admission, that health care facilities will require students to have a Social Security number or a Visa as a condition of being assigned to a clinical facility. Students who are unable to complete the LSCS health program clinical skills requirement will not be able to complete the program due to a lack of clinical placement.
Additionally, LSCS will notify students that a Social Security number or a Visa may be required for a background check, and may also be required for taking the licensing examination upon completion of program requirements.