HOUSTON (Nov. 16, 2011) – Lone Star Corporate College will present a seminar for attorneys and certified public accountants on “International Corporate Compliance Issues” on Thursday, Dec. 1 from 7:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Lone Star College-University Park, 20515 State Highway 249 at Louetta Road.
Attendees will learn about the latest developments related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, including how to maintain compliance with the act, which in general prohibits corrupt payments to foreign officials for the purpose of obtaining or keeping business. In addition, the act also outlines specific accounting practices that must be used when conducting international business.
This seminar will also highlight other international compliance issues involving "Deemed Export" under the Export Administration Regulations, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, and the Office of Foreign Assets Controls.
Specific presentations will include:
· An Overview of the Law, presented by Randy Burton, partner, Burleson LLP
· Export Issues and Africa, presented by Elvis Angyiembe, associate, Burleson LLP
· Taxes & Real Life Consequences, presented by Ken Krasny, of counsel, Burleson LLP
· Compliance Solutions, presented by Lamar Casparis, CPA and shareholder, Fitts Roberts & Co., PC
· The Shale Gas Boom in the U.S. and Its Relation to International Trade, presented by Richard Burleson, managing partner, Burleson LLP.
Attendees will receive five hours of professional continuing education credit.
With more than 75,000 students in credit classes for fall 2011, and a total enrollment of more than 90,000, Lone Star College System is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area, and the fastest-growing community college system in Texas. Dr. Richard Carpenter is the chancellor of LSCS, which consists of five colleges including LSC-CyFair, LSC-Kingwood, LSC-Montgomery, LSC-North Harris, and LSC-Tomball, six centers, LSC-University Park, LSC-University Center at Montgomery, LSC-University Center at University Park, Lone Star Corporate College, and LSC-Online. To learn more visit LoneStar.edu.