Only one week left to get help preparing tax returns available at Lone Star College-CyFair!
Providing free tax preparation assistance to seniors and low- to middle- income individuals on a first-come, first-served basis in the library, room 131, are LSC-CyFair students in Shawn Miller’s accounting class.
These future accountants will be available 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. Monday, April 14 (instructors will review each return for accuracy prior to completion.)
Utilizing Turbo Tax and/or other tax preparation software, students are getting hands-on experience while earning a grade and credit toward a Service Learning credit on their transcripts.
Please bring the following items to prepare your taxes:
- Copy of last year’s income tax return(s)
- Social Security cards for all adults and dependents
- W-2 forms from each employer
- W-2G for gambling winnings
- Unemployment compensation statements on 1099-G
- SSA-1099 form if you were paid Social Security benefits
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B) showing interest and/or dividends and documentation showing original purchase price and purchase date of sold assets
- 1099-misc showing any miscellaneous income
- 1099-R form if you received a pension or annuity
- All forms indicating federal income tax paid
- Dependent care provider information (name, address, and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or provider’s Social Security Number)
- All receipts or canceled checks if itemizing deductions
NOTE: Taxes may be filed electronically
For information, contact Miller at Shawn.T.Miller@LoneStar.edu.