With the November elections around the corner and political races heading up, Lone Star College-Kingwood invites the community to attend a series of candidate forums and events this fall.
Hosted by the college Center for Civic Engagement, the forums will give students, faculty, staff and the community an opportunity to learn more about the candidates who are running for public office. Constituents can meet the candidates, listen to their positions and ask questions. Of special note, on Thursday, Sept. 4, the center will provide deputized voter registrar training from 3-4 p.m. on campus in the PAC Building, room 125. Volunteer deputy registrars are entrusted with the responsibility of officially registering voters and delivering voter applications in the state of Texas. For more information about deputy registrars, email John.J.Theis@lonestar.edu or Seth.M.Howard@lonestar.edu or visit LoneStar.edu/LSC-Kingwood-Civic-Engagement.
We are hosting these forums and events because we see our role as a resource for students and the community by educating not only workers but also citizens, said Dr. John Theis, political science professor and Center for Civic Engagement sponsor. We recognize the fundamental role educational institutions play in building informed citizens and in creating public spaces where dialogue and deliberation can occur with our elected leaders.
The candidate forums will provide a local non-partisan setting for the public to with meet with their leaders. Below is a list of forums that will be held and the candidates who will attend. All forums will be held at 7 p.m. on campus in the Student-Conference Center unless otherwise noted.
- Tuesday, Sept. 2 Texas Land Commissioner Democrat Candidate John Cook, 12-1 p.m. in the Recital Hall (MUS101)
- Thursday, Sept. 4 Deputy Voter Registrar Training, 3-4 p.m. in PAC 125
- Tuesday, Sept. 9 Judges, Green Party
- Thursday, Sept. 11 All Independent Candidates
- Monday, Sept. 15 Judges, Republican
- Tuesday, Sept. 16 Texas Railroad Commissioner Democrat Candidate Steve Brown, 12-1 p.m., PAC 125
- Tuesday, Sept. 16 Judges, Democrat
- Wednesday, Sept. 17 Judges, Libertarian
- Monday, Sept. 22 U.S. House, Democrat
- Tuesday, Sept. 23, U.S. House, Republican
- Wednesday, Sept. 24 U.S. House, Green Party
- Thursday, Sept. 30 Candidate Forum, TBA
- Friday, Oct. 3 Texas Agriculture Commissioner Republican Candidate Sid Miller, 12-1 p.m., CLA 114
- Monday, Oct. 6 Texas Senate, Democrat
- Thursday, Oct. 9 Texas Senate, Republican
- Tuesday, Oct. 14 Candidate Forum, TBA
- Wednesday, Oct. 15 Local offices, Republican
- Thursday, Oct. 16 Local offices, Democrat
- Monday, Oct. 20 Texas House, Republican
- Tuesday, Oct. 21 Texas House, Democrat
- Thursday, Oct. 23 Texas house and Senate, Libertarian
- Monday, Oct. 27 Candidate Forum, TBA
- Tuesday, Oct. 28 Candidate Forum, TBA
- Wednesday, Oct. 29 State Offices, Green Party
- Thursday, Oct. 30 State Offices, Libertarian
For the most up-to-date information on candidate forums, visit LoneStar.edu/LSC-Kingwood-Civic-Engagement.
Register now for credit classes online through myLoneStar. Classes are offered days, evenings, or weekends in traditional, Internet, video, TV and independent study formats. For more information on how to register online, visit www.lonestar.edu/registration. For general information about Lone Star College-Kingwood, call 281.312.1600 or visit http://lonestar.edu/kingwood.htm.
Lone Star College System has been opening doors to a better community for more than 40 years. Founded in 1973, LSCS remains steadfast in its commitment to student success and credential completion. Today, with 78,000 students in credit classes, and a total enrollment of more than 90,000, Lone Star College System is the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area and one of the fastest-growing community college systems in the nation. Dr. Steve Head is the chancellor of LSCS, which consists of six colleges including LSC-CyFair, LSC-Kingwood, LSC-Montgomery, LSC-North Harris, LSC-Tomball and LSC-University Park, seven centers, LSC-University Center at Montgomery, LSC-University Center at University Park, Lone Star Corporate College, and LSC-Online. To learn more visit LoneStar.edu.