Dear LSC-Kingwood and Atascocita Center Students:
LSC-Kingwood suffered extensive damages to six of our nine buildings due to flooding caused by the San Jacinto River which contained sewage from the nearby flooded water treatment plant. While we have specialists sanitizing the buildings, we will not be able to use these buildings for most of the semester. We are asking that you be flexible and give us another week to do the following:
- Convert most 16-week classes that were to start the week of August 28 to 12 week classes that will start the week of September 25.
- Figure out which class sections need to be in a face-to-face format or a hybrid format (combination of online and face-to-face class sessions)
- Offer most face-to-face classes and hybrid ones at one of four locations. These will be in the two non-flooded buildings on the main college campus (Student Conference Center and the Music Instructional Building), the Atascocita Center, the EMCID building in New Caney and a leased building located between the college campus and EMCID. We also have some classes being offered at other sites, which will be communicated to those students.
- Convert all other classes that do not need to meet face-to-face or hybrid to an online class.
- Class schedule changes for courses offered at other colleges have to be done by September 9.
For students not originally planning to take an online class, we promise you will get lots of support. We will offer online support and in-person support at three of the locations – the main college campus, the Atascocita Center and EMCID. I have asked for all faculty who will be teaching these converted online courses to ask their students what kind of support they will need. Specifically, do you have a computer or tablet and do you have Internet access?
We know transportation is also an issue. I cannot promise that we can organize vanpools, but we will try. Please let your faculty member know if transportation is an issue for you to take classes at one of the centers.
Again, the earliest we can publish our revised fall schedule of classes will be next week. If the courses you originally signed up for, now converted to online or held at one of the centers different from the original, we will work with you to change your schedule. We can do this online or in-person starting on September 18. In-person changes can be made at the main campus SCC building, the Atascocita Center and/or at one of our sister colleges.
Please be patient with us as we try to make as many classes available to you so you do not have to delay your education goals.