Peer Tutor Pledge
As a peer tutor, you are asked and expected to abide by a code of behavior that is suitable for the increased level of responsibility associated with the position of tutor.
This code of behavior is the same as what is expected of a professional, degreed tutor.
By accepting the role of peer tutor, you are also accepting the responsibility of abiding by the following pledge.
As a peer tutor at NHC, I pledge to do the following:
* Understand and accept the NHC Tutoring Program’s mission, objectives, and tutor responsibilities.
* Take appropriate steps to stay proficient and knowledgeable in my subject area and in the field of tutoring.
* Make sure students receive my full attention.
* Respect the privacy of students by keeping all information discussed during the tutor session confidential.
* Maintain a professional tutor-client relationship during all tutor sessions, keeping in mind that as a peer tutor, I am acting in the role as mentor and teacher, not fellow student.
* Communicate with students at a language level which is meaningful to us both.
* Respect each student’s uniqueness and personal dignity by accepting him/her without judgment.
* Be open, honest, and encouraging to students.
* Strive to teach students to succeed without me.
* Count on the student to also be my tutor and to teach me ways to do a better job.
* Be an example to students on punctuality and reliability in keeping appointments.
* Maintain records and progress data as expected.