Starting A Registered Student Organization
Everything you need to know about starting a new Registered Student Organization is in the below handout. Have a look and let us know if you have any questions.
New RSO Registration Period
Fall – August 15-October 15
Spring – January 15-March 15
Existing RSO Information/Re-registration
Existing RSOs are required to reregister annually. All forms needed for this are available online and linked below.
Fall – October 15
Spring – March 15
The RSO Handbook is a quick reference tool for students and advisors. Use it find forms, contacts, and procedures for carrying out your responsibilities.
The current handbook (below) is currently being updated.
RSO Registration Forms
- Registration Form - To register a club with the Office of Student Life. Note: Information will appear on the club website in the manner in which it is written on the form.
- Officers/Representatives Registration Form - Each time students are elected to office, this form must be turned in.
- Student Leader Biography Form - All officers wishing to be listed on the Club/Organization website must submit this form.
- Risk Management Training – All RSO members and advisors are required to complete Risk Management Training annually.
- Member Roster Template - (Excel) Complete and return to The Office of Student Life each semester.
- Congress of Clubs Report Template - (PDF) Complete and bring to Congress of Clubs assembly each semester.
- Student Travel Information
- Fundraiser Request - (PDF)
- Donation Drive Request - Donation drives must be approved before setting out collection bins.
- RSO Service Log Form - Complete for RSO after every Service Project.
Risk Management Training
All RSO members and advisors are required to complete Risk Management Training annually. Access the link below to watch the training video. The Office of Student Life will receive a notification after each person completes the training. If you are not sure if you have completed it, please contact our office at Kingwood.StudentLife@LoneStar.edu.
All students involved with a Registered Student Organization must abide by the Student Code of Conduct. Additional policies relevant to student organizations are listed below.
- Postings that do not comply with all listed guidelines will be removed from the bulletin board.
- All postings must be approved by the appropriate LSC-Kingwood department, unless the posting was created by Designs-In-Print. See chart below.
- Postings are only allowed in the designated area. Do not post on windows, walls, or doors.
- Use thumb tacks only. Do not use staples.
(located in ADM, CLA, CLB, LIB, HSB, FTC & PAC)
|Ads & Notices
Please date your posting. It may remain posted for 30 days.
|Organizations & Sports
Must be approved through the Office of Student Activities
|Exclusively for student postings seeking to buy/sell/trade an item or commodity||Exclusively for Official LSC System announcements||Exclusively for postings related to Student Life events, Student Clubs & Organizations, or Sports Clubs & Intramurals|
|*Postings must be approved by the Office of Student Life (SCC 240)||*Postings must be approved by the Office of Student Life (SCC 240)||*Postings must be approved by the Office of Student Life (SCC 240)|
- ADM - 1st floor on the wall across from the library entrance, 2nd floor between stairwell and the LIB bridge
- CLA - 1st floor on the wall adjacent to the teaching theatre across from the courtyard entrance doors
- CLB - On the wall immediately to the left of the restrooms
- LIB - 2nd floor across from stairs and on the wall adjacent to the lounge area
- HSB - On the first floor outside faculty suites
- FTC - On the left wall as you are walking to the "locker rooms"
- PAC - Across from daycare center & commons area
Business/Community Board in PAC
(located across from daycare center to the left of the general board)
- Exclusively for Business and Community postings
- Postings shall include a disclosure statement stating that LSC-K does not endorse/support the business or community postings
- *Postings must be approved by the Office of Student Life (SCC 240)
In accordance with the Penal Code of the State of Texas, no person affiliated with a Lone Star College-Kingwood Student Activities Club or Organization may participate in hazing practices. This includes but is not limited to:
- "performing an act or subjecting another to a situation or action that causes undue mental or physical discomfort or danger to one's self or others;
- is morally degrading or ethically unsound; causes public humiliation;
- could cause damage to public or personal property;
- is contrary to any local, state or federal laws;
- interferes with educational activities, or is not in keeping with the stated educational mission of" Lone Star College.
(Taken from The University of Tampa Student Organization & Advisor Handbook 2009-2010).
Athough student leaders have freedom of choice in the selection of members, they may not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, disability, age, veteran status, national origin, or ethnicity.
Every Registered Student Organization (RSO) is required to submit a Constitution to the Office of Student Life shortly after they apply for their initial registration. The purpose of having a constitution is to (1) ensure a smooth transition for new officers, (2) provide club leaders and the Office of Student Life a reference source for policies and procedures, (3) assist the club in maintaining compliance, fairness and consistency for all students.
Student Activity Fee Requests
Lone Star College students pay a Student Activity Fee of $2.00/credit hour (http://www.lonestar.edu/tuition.htm) each semester. These funds constitute a fund that can be used for student activities as outlined by the State of Texas (http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/ED/htm/ED.54.htm). Student organizations can request funds to promote their club, travel on behalf of their club, and conduct club functions by submitting a fee request. Requests are reviewed by the Student Activity Fee Committee (SFAC) where final recommendations are made.
- Student Activity Fee Request Form (PDF)
The next SFAC meeting will be:
Submit your Student or Presenter for Cody Awards.