Sonography Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Advanced Technical Certificate
The Sonography Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Advanced Technical Certificate (C3_NIV3) is offered at LSC-CyFair and has additional entrance requirements. For more information please contact the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Department.
Visit the Health Science cluster page for similar careers.
The Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Advanced Technical Certificate is designed for graduates with an AAS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography or Echocardiography. Vascular technologists specialize in imaging blood vessels. Upon completion of this LSCS certificate program, graduates may apply to take the credentialing exam to become a Registered Vascular Technologist (RVT) through the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS), or Registered Vascular Specialist (RVS) through Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI).
Prior To Application
Students must complete all appropriate developmental coursework or retake the section of ASSET, ACCUPLACER, COMPASS, or THEA and score high enough to place into college-level courses.
Students must have completed an AAS degree in either Diagnostic Medical Sonography or Echocardiography, and the transcripts must be evaluated by Lone Star College for verification of the AAS degree.
Clinical space is limited, so students are admitted on a competitive basis. In addition to the general admission requirements of the LSCS, the following requirements must be met in order to apply for admission to the Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Enhanced Skills Certificate
- College entry-level ability in mathematics and English (reading/writing) as defined by LSCS. For further information, contact any of the student development offices.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 in college.
- Complete various immunizations and/or titers, including the Hepatitis B immunization series that may take up to 6 months to complete. For all accepted students, all clinical requirements must be completed by due date set by Program. Applicants must provide written documentation of all immunizations or titers received on a college-approved form found on the website.
- Final acceptance into the program is contingent upon a satisfactory background check (as required by clinical facilities) that is completed by a college approved agency at the student’s expense. Clinical facilities may also require completion of satisfactory drug screening and verification of medical insurance.
- Contact Program Director for the application packet, and to obtain additional details for application requirements.
Applicants who have failed or withdrawn from any LSCS sonography program will be considered on an individual basis. Readmission is not automatic. It is based on remediation of an identified problem area and space availability. Students who wish to be readmitted must interview with the program’s Readmission Committee and follow current readmission guidelines.
At this interview, the student will be asked to describe what steps have been taken in the intervening months to improve the chance of success and an action plan for improvement of academic and/or clinical performance. In addition, students seeking readmission must submit three letters of their standing from the prior sonography program. One letter should be a “report of status” from the former program director. Readmission into the sonography program must occur within one year of non-completion. A student may be readmitted into the sonography one time only.
An individual’s request to transfer into any LSCS sonography program will be reviewed on an individual basis by the program director. Transfer students must meet all admission requirements of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program. It is recommended to allow a minimum of three months for processing. Class placement is based on previous achievement and space availability. Admission is considered only if prior program enrollment has been within one (1) year and the candidate is in good standing in a program or in previous program. All of the following steps must be completed for consideration.
- Completion of official transfer application.
- Written statement from the student describing his/her reasons for originally leaving the program.
- Submit current official transcripts from any colleges or universities that the student has attended.
- Submit three letters of his/her standing from the prior sonography program.
One letter should be a “report of status” from the former program director.
First Year Credits
First Semester Credits
|DSVT||1364||Practicum I - Diagnostic Medical Sonography & Ultrasound Tech||3|
|DSVT||2430||Cerebral Vascular Evaluation||4|
|DSVT||2418||Non-Invasive Peripheral Vascular Evaluation||4|
TOTAL First Semester Credits:
Second Semester Credits
|DSVT1||1265||Practicum II - Medical Sonography & Ultrasound Tech||2|
|DSVT||2335||Advanced Non-Invasive Vascular Technology||3|
TOTAL Second Semester Credits:
TOTAL Credit Hours for Sonography Non-Invasive Vascular Technology Advanced Technical Certificate:
- Capstone course