Spanish Language & Culture
Spanish Immersion is for college credit students, leisure learners and professionals. Study Abroad will award 4 credits (SPAN 1411 or SPAN 1412). Leisure learners acquire Spanish language skills for career or personal enrichment and receive a certificate for 8.0 CEUs.
Attend Spanish conversation and grammar classes (Levels 1-7) four hours daily at Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara (UAG), Centro Internacional de Idiomas, one of Mexico's finest private universities in the historic city of Guadalajara.
Guadalajara and México City - you will be studying at the Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara (UAG), Centro Internacional de Idiomas for 14 days. On June 24th, we travel by to México City for a 3 day tour of historical sites before returning to Houston.
Depart on Thursday, June 11 and return on Sunday, June 28, 2009.
A valid passport is required.
Program Cost of $1,695 includes the following:
- Roundtrip airfare via Continental Airlines Group Travel: Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) to Guadalajara/Mexico City to IAH
- Bus transportation to/from airports in Mexico & tours
- Placement exam; Spanish classes (Levels 1-7) taught by UAG Centro de Idiomas professors (Spanish Immersion) or Cultural lectures (English Literature)
- Home-stay (14 nights) with Mexican family and at least 2 meals daily, shared bedroom/bath
- Guided tours, entrance fees: Centro Histórico (2), Zapópan, Tequila, Tlaquepaque, & Tonalá
- Latin dance lessons (2) with UAG dance instructor
- Chartered bus from Guadalajara to México City, 3 nights hotel (double room), breakfast, one dinner, guided tours with entrance fees: National Palace, Templo Mayor, Metropolitan Cathedral, Chapultepec Castle, Our Lady of Guadalupe Shrine, Aztec city of Tenochtitlán
Note: itinerary and prices subject to change without notice in the event that we are subjected to cost increases.
- March 13 - All payments less $100 deposit for Continental Group Works
- May 7 - All payments less cost of airline ticket
- June 11 - All Program Cost payments less airline ticket and $100
- No refunds after June 11
- November 17 - LSC Study Abroad Scholarship application deadline
- Jan 16 - $200 deposit to reserve place in program
- March 1 -payment of $747.50
- April 1 - payment of $747.50 with completed forms, copy of passport
- April 15 - UAG receives admission and housing preference forms
- May 7 - Passenger names confirmed with Continental Airlines
- May 7 - mandatory orientation
- June 2 - UAG assigns home-stay family contact, address, phone number
- June 2 - start date for ENGL 1302 41105 and ENGL 2342 41101
- June 8 - start date for SPAN 1411 and SPAN 1412 41401
Other expenses not covered above: LSC-Montgomery tuition (Study Abroad only), Spanish workbook ($15), Mexican cooking class (optional), laundry, restaurant meals, snacks, city bus fare ($.30), personal items, museum camera usage fee ($3), Tapatio double-decker city bus tour ($5).
Note: Participants will have photo ID taken for access to campus facilities: computer labs, library, swimming pool, gym; ID permits entrance to museums and sites at no charge.
Lone Star College has needs-based scholarships for Study Abroad that may cover up to 75% of the cost. If you have not already applied for financial aid, go to http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.
BELS Division Operations Manager
E Building, E205M
Study Abroad Faculty Sponsors
David Zimmermann, Ph.D, Professor, English
Professor, Chair, ESOL/Languages, Speech,
E Bldg. E205
Norseman Hernandez, Spanish Professor
F Bldg. F160C
Program Manager, Continuing Education
A Bldg. A200N