Attendees: Nadine Jenkins, Chair, KC; Linda Bilides, System Office; Jason Kot, System Office; Mary Shafer, System Office; Diana Pino, CFC; Ed Albracht, TC; Larry Rideaux, System Office; Nockie Zizelmann, System Office; Tammy McFarland, System Office- Recorder.
Guests: Randy Sparks, System Office; Diane Novak, System Office; Lori Hannes, System Office
Absent: Earl Campa, CFC; Nithy Sevanthinathan, System Office Bennie Lambert, NHC; Severo Balason, NHC; Terry Sawma, KC; Debra Britton, TUC;
Approval of minutes - accomplished via email
1. Update on IT Student Services Help Desk - Randy Sparks reviewed a PowerPoint presentation of work done by the Student Services Help Desk committee. Work will continue to insure that students' needs are well served and that the IT Help Desk is not inundated by student services type calls that it is not prepared to handle (Service Desk restricts its calls to IT solutions and refers other calls to appropriate areas).
Web pages have been revised to provide the best contact information for each type of call. Work will continue to insure that the pages are easily accessed and correct information is provided.
Each chief student services officer should review the PowerPoint presentation with his/her staff and send additional suggestion to Randy or Severo so that the committee may review the suggestions.
2. Enrollment Reporting Process Draft Report-Diane Novak and Lori Hannes
Diane reviewed the Enrollment Report Process (hard copy and electronic copy of report were provided to the council members) with the council and asked that the chief student services officer send response to the items Larry Rideaux by May 4 so that the final responses may be forwarded to Diane's office by May 11.
3. Update on "Apply Texas" - Mary Shafer-Apply Texas is the new name for the Texas Common Application. Lone Star College System will accept the Apply Texas if submitted but we will not encourage students to use it. Our online application is a real time application and the Apply Texas is not-plus we are charged by the state for its use. Changes to Apply Texas application are made yearly and our liaison with the state is Earl Campa.
Our online application process is improving and fewer problems are being reported-however, some students believe that they have completed the process once they have received an access password and some are completing the application but fail to hit the "submit application" button. These are training/communication issues and they are being addressed.
4. Discuss feasibility of adding GI Bill status report to "My Records" screen-Mary Shafer- Council approved having Mary, Jason Kot and Tessa Scroggins (VA) to work on this issue which will be added to the IT priority list.
5. Follow-up on CE courses counting toward full time student status for F1 students-Larry Rideaux. Larry will meet with Sunny Cooke and Nithy to work on this issue.
6. Update on Accuplacer discussion-Larry Rideaux-the Curriculum teams are reviewing the Accuplacer to see if it will fit the current criteria and needs of Lone Star College System and allow us to broaden our placement test suppliers and meeting our current purchasing requirements. Recommendations will be made by November 2008.
7. Review of Proposed Student Policies-Larry Rideaux-the council reviewed the proposed student policies manual and made requested revisions to the text. Larry will forward the revisions to the general counsel office.
8. Registration Process Update - Jade Borne-tabled due to Jade's absence.
9. Update AskOnLine Tutoring Initiative-Terry Sawma-tabled due to Terry's absence.
10. My Educational Plan- Larry Rideaux-review is ongoing. Meeting with Larry, Tom Hill, Jen Murillo, and Jade Borne is scheduled for May 1.
11. SSC Retreat Planning - Nadine Jenkins-Nadine will handle this by email. The retreat will address security/crisis plans for the campuses; how to handle increased staffing needs and the development of job descriptions, how to identify students/staff in crisis.
Next Meeting-May 22, 2007