Strategic Plan & Goals
Message From the Chancellor
Lone Star College continues to lead the way in higher education in the greater Houston area all while experiencing unprecedented growth.
The LSC service area has grown by 176,000 people from 2000 to 2014. It does not look like that growth will slow down anytime soon. It is estimated an additional 242,000 people will increase the region’s population to 2.55 million by 2019.
LSC is also growing at an amazing pace, adding more than 33,000 credit students from fall 2007 to fall 2014.
Since this 2012-2015 Strategic Plan was issued, LSC has worked hard to continue our mission of student success and enriching lives through comprehensive educational opportunities. Those efforts continue to pay off in remarkable fashion.
- LSC is leading a statewide effort to significantly increase the successful completion rates of community college students. The Texas Completes cadre brings together Alamo Colleges, Austin Community College, Dallas County Community College District, El Paso Community College, Kilgore College, Lone Star College, Odessa College and South Texas College that share a common vision for deep student success reform.
- LSC, in collaboration with The University of Texas at Austin and The University of Texas System, is leading the Texas Reverse Transfer Initiative (TRTI), which awards associate degrees to students who have earned the necessary credits after transferring to a four-year institution. TRTI is a key strategy in Texas’ goal of increasing higher education degree attainment.
- LSC was proud to host the inaugural Texas Completion Summit which was attended by nearly 300 people representing 36 of the 50 community colleges in the state, six universities and six major foundations. Educators and lawmakers gathered to share ideas and solutions intended to help keep students focused on finishing their education.
- LSC plays a major role in The College Credit for Heroes program which seeks to maximize college credit awarded to veterans and service members for their military experience, helping veterans and service members obtain their degrees and certifications more quickly and expedite their entry into the workforce.
- LCS is consistently nationally ranked as a Top Degree Producer by Community College Week magazine. The Top 100 Associate Degree Producers list is compiled each year from data collected through the National Center for Education Statistics and the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data Set survey.
None of these outstanding accomplishments would be possible without the hard work of our tremendous team of faculty and staff. The greatest asset of LSC is its employees. They make student success happen each and every day.
While the area we serve may be changing, our vision and mission to provide comprehensive educational opportunities and programs to enrich lives has not. The 2012 – 2015 Strategic Plan will allow us to measure outcomes, qualify our performance and measure our achievements to make certain we continue to earn the reputation of a leader in higher education.
Increase completion and achievement of all students.
Provide high quality academic instruction.
Provide quality student focused service.
Maintain affordability and accessibility.
Recruit and retain talented full and part-time faculty, administrators and staff.
Enhance internal and external systems of communication.
Strengthen efficiencies in operations.
Develop and sustain mutually beneficial partnerships.
Leverage technology to increase and enhance education, operation, and innovation competitiveness.
Plan and manage sustainable quality growth.