Tutor Assignments and Resources
Practicum Paper Assignment
At the conclusion of the semester, each tutor will complete a typed essay (of at least 500 words). The purpose of this essay is to encourage self-reflection. Ask yourself the following questions?
* As a tutor, what progress did I make in my professional development?
* As a tutor, what challenges did I face during this semester?
* How did I overcome any obstacles or challenges?
* How did I help my clients/tutees overcome any obstacles?
* How will the challenges and progress that occurred throughout this experience influence my future in the
academic and/or professional world?
Use this essay as an opportunity to discuss and think through your pedagogical prospective.
This assignment will count toward 45 minutes of your CRLA training.
Submit in person or via email.
College Reading and Learning Association
Sites to Promote Academic Success
University of Hawaii Honolulu Community College provides a Teaching Tips Index
on classroom management as well as communication skills and organizational techniques
Center of City College of San Francisco
Three Rivers Community College Connecticut: college’s tutor training site
Tutoring Tips and Info: TutorNation
Capossela, Toni-Lee. The Harcourt Brace Guide to Peer Tutoring. New York: Harcourt Brace, 1998.
Gillespie, Paula and Neal Lerner. The Allyn and Bacon Guid to Peer Tutoring. 2nd ed. New York: Pearson and Longman, 2003.
Rabow, Jerome, Tiffani Chin, and Nina Fahimian. Tutoring Matters: Everything You Always Wanted to Know About How to Tutor. Temple UP,1999.
Simons, Janet A. and Donald B. Irwin. “Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs.”Zemke, Ron and Susan. “30 Things We Know For Sure About Adult Learning.”