Prospective Master's Degree Students FAQ

Q: What is The University Center?
A: LSC-University Center is a partnership of local universities, the Lone Star College System (LSCS) and the private sector. The partner universities are (as of Fall 2010) Sam Houston State University, Texas A&M University, and Texas Southern University. Courses leading to bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees are offered by the partner universities at LSC-University Center, located at the north side of The Woodlands. LSC-University Center serves the entire college system, an area of more than 1,400 square miles. The Center is housed in the 78,000-square-foot George P. Mitchell Building [map].

Q: What programs and degrees are offered at LSC-University Center?
A: A complete description of programs currently offered is included in each semester's class schedule for LSC-University Center. Programs offered by the partner universities are non-duplicated. Go to the programs and degrees page to find a listing of degree programs.

Q: How do I get started?
A: To enroll in any of LSC-University Center courses, a student must be admitted to one of the six partner universities offering degrees at LSC-University Center. The university to which you apply and are admitted is designated as your "home" university. Your application for admission to the home university must include official copies of your transcripts. Official transcripts carry the registrar's signature and the university seal and are mailed directly from the university. Certain universities may allow you to submit your transcripts in envelopes sealed and signed by the university. Students should make every effort to apply by university deadlines. Many schools or master's degree programs have additional admissions requirements or deadlines beyond the university requirements. The catalog of your home university and the admissions application contain detailed information.

Q: Do I have to take the GRE or GMAT before I begin taking classes?
A: Most master's degree programs offered by the partner universities require that student's earn an acceptable score on a particular standardized test (usually the GRE or GMAT) as part of admission into the program. Generally, a student must be approved for admission as a graduate student before registering for classes toward a master's degree. There are many dates available in which to take either of these two popular tests since they are both offered in a computerized format. Staff members in the Student Services Office can further assist you with specific questions.

Q: How do I find out the specific requirements for my chosen master's degree program?
A: Since master's degree programs can be very specialized, it is usually best to understand as much as possible from the university catalog and speak directly with an advisor at the home university based on your unique educational background.

Q: Where are LSC-University Center classes held?
A: Classes meet in the George P. Mitchell Building at LSC-University Center, 3232 College Park Drive, at the north side of The Woodlands. LSC-University Center is located one-half mile west of I-45 at the College Park Drive/Highway 242 exit (Exit 79).[map]

Q: How do I get a catalog from the university I would like to attend?
A: Most university catalogs are available on individual university web sites. The catalog and handbooks of the partner universities are the official publications describing all pertinent policies governing student enrollments in the universities. They contain valuable information intended to assist in planning academic endeavors. Students are responsible for reading these publications and should become thoroughly familiar with all current information.

Partner University Online Catalogs

Q: Do I have courses which will transfer to a partner university?
A: The number of hours of transferable college-level credit is very limited for master's degree programs. Once you have applied for admission, an analyst at your home university can review your official transcripts. You should work with your home university advisor to align any evaluated coursework into a degree plan, if applicable. Staff members in the Student Services Office at LSC-University Center can also meet with you to discuss your academic options and assist you with determining how your courses may transfer to any of the partner universities.

Q: How do I register for classes?
A: Once you are admitted to your home university, you may register for classes by attending the on-site registration (see our events calendar) at LSC-University Center, held before the start of each semester, or by following the home university's procedures for earlier registration. As a component of the lateral partnerships, students are able to register for support courses from the other universities or the community college district without having to complete another application. Contact the Student Services Office for assistance with this process.

Q: What tuition and fees do I pay?
A: The amount of tuition and fees owed by a student registering for courses through LSC-University Center is determined by the home university. Depending on when the students registers, the fee statement may be mailed by the university. However, it is the student's duty to know the university procedures and arrange to pay the amount due by the deadline. Residency, for the partner university tuition purposes, is determined by in-state or out-of-state status. Each partner university verifies a student's residency status.

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?
A: Students interested in financial aid should apply through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships of their home university. This process normally begins by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available on the web or in the Student Services Office. It is also important to contact your financial aid office as soon as possible for deadline dates. The "Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid" document from the Student Services Office of LSC-University Center contains more details.

 Q: How do I get my textbooks?
A: As a courtesy to students, textbooks for the courses offered at LSC-University Center are available at the LSC-Montgomery Bookstore on the first floor of Building A. They may also be ordered from the bookstore of the home university. Textbooks can be ordered by phone or online for delivery to your home or office. For phone orders, call the LSC-Montgomery Bookstore toll-free number, 1.888.677.1005.