Junior & Senior Level Course Work FAQ

Q: What is The University Center?
A: LSC-University Center is a partnership of local universities, the Lone Star College System (LSCS) and the private sector. Courses leading to bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees are offered by the partner universities at LSC-University Center, located at the north side of The Woodlands. LSC-University Center serves the entire college system, an area of more than 1,400 square miles. The Center is housed in the 78,000-square-foot George P. Mitchell Building.

Q: What programs and degrees are offered at LSC-University Center?
A: A complete description of programs currently offered is included in each semester's class schedule for LSC-University Center. Programs offered by the partner universities are non-duplicated. Go to the programs and degrees page to find a listing of degree programs.

Q: How do I get started?
A: To enroll in any of LSC-University Center courses, a student must be admitted to one of the six partner universities offering degrees at LSC-University Center. The university to which you apply and are admitted is designated as your "home" university. Your application for admission to the home university must include official copies of your transcripts. Official transcripts carry the registrar's signature and the university seal and are mailed directly from the university. Certain universities may allow you to submit your transcripts in envelopes sealed and signed by the university. Students should make every effort to apply by university deadlines. Some schools or programs may have additional admissions requirements or deadlines beyond the university requirements. The catalog of your home university and the current admissions application contain detailed information, such as required grade point average for transfer.

Q: How do I get a catalog from the university I would like to attend?
A: Most university catalogs are available on individual university web sites. The catalog and handbooks of the partner universities are the official publications describing all pertinent policies governing student enrollments in the universities. They contain valuable information intended to assist in planning academic endeavors. Students are responsible for reading these publications and should become thoroughly familiar with all current information.

Partner University Online Catalogs

Q: Where are LSC-University Center classes held?
A: Classes meet in the George P. Mitchell Building at LSC-University Center, 3232 College Park Drive, at the north side of The Woodlands. LSC-University Center is located one-half mile west of I-45 at the College Park Drive/Highway 242 exit (Exit 79).[map]

Q: How do I register for classes?
A: Once you are admitted to your home university, you may register for classes by attending the on-site registration at LSC-University Center, held before the start of each semester, or by following the home university's procedures for earlier registration. As a component of the lateral partnerships, students are able to register for support courses from the other universities or the community college district without having to complete another application. Contact the Student Services Office for assistance with this process.

Q: How do I know which courses will transfer to a partner university?
A: The Student Services Office at LSC-University Center and the counseling offices at the Lone Star College System campuses and their centers have copies of transfer guides written for the partnerships of the variety of bachelor's degree programs offered at LSC-University Center. In general, up to 66 college-level credit hours can transfer to your home university. Once you have applied for admission, an analyst at your home university will review your official transcripts and you will receive an official evaluation. You should work with your home university advisor to align your evaluated coursework into a degree plan. Staff members in the Student Services Office at LSC-University Center can also meet with you to discuss your academic options and assist you with interpreting transfer guides and determining how your courses may transfer to any of the partner universities. This may be especially helpful for students who took few or no credit hours from Lone Star College System.

Q: What tuition and fees do I pay?
A: The amount of tuition and fees owed by a student registering for courses through LSC-University Center is determined by the home university. Depending on when the students registers, the fee statement may be mailed by the university. However, it is the student's duty to know the university procedures and arrange to pay the amount due by the deadline. Residency, for the partner university tuition purposes, is determined by in-state or out-of-state status. Each partner university verifies a student's residency status.

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?
A: Students interested in financial aid should apply through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships of their home university. This process normally begins by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available on the web or in the Student Services Office. Contact your financial aid office as soon as possible for deadline dates. The "Frequently Asked Questions about Financial Aid" document from the Student Services Office of LSC-University Center contains more details.

Q: How do I get my textbooks?
A: As a courtesy to students, textbooks for the courses offered at LSC-University Center are available at the LSC-Montgomery Bookstore on the first floor of Building A. They may also be ordered from the bookstore of the home university. Textbooks can be ordered by phone or online for delivery to your home or office. For phone orders, call the LSC-Montgomery Bookstore toll-free number, 1.888.677.1005.