Financial Aid FAQ

Q: How do I apply for financial aid?
A: Students interested in financial aid should apply through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships of their "home" university. For these purposes, the "home" university is the university in which the student is enrolled in the most hours. This process normally begins by filing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available on the web or in the Student Services Office. If you need additional assistance in completing the FAFSA, you can also contact the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1.800.4FEDAID. It is also important to contact your financial aid office as soon as possible for deadline dates.
Partner University Financial Aid Information

Q: What happens after I apply for financial aid?
A: Once you submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, you will receive the Student Aid Report (SAR). If you listed the code for your university on the form, the financial aid office of your "home" university will receive the information electronically and can then begin processing your financial aid application. If your SAR so indicates, a verification form and signed copy of your Federal Tax Return (and parents' as well if applicable) should be submitted to the university financial aid office. The financial aid office from your "home" university will notify you of your eligibility for financial aid after ALL forms have been submitted. The university sends the student a packet which may include an award letter and loan application. The student selects a lender and signs and returns the forms to the university financial aid office where it is certified and forwarded to the lender selected. The student may have to sign for the loan check when it arrives or, depending on the lender selected, the funds may be applied directly toward the student's tuition and fees by Electronic Funds Transfer. Students taking classes at LSC-University Center may prefer to select a lender offering Electronic Funds Transfer to avoid having to make a trip to the "home" university campus.

Q: Is there a deadline to apply for financial aid?
A: You can begin the financial aid process for a new academic year when the new application information arrives at the universities, LSCS and LSC-University Center, early in the calendar year. You should complete your tax return information for the most recent year as soon as possible. There is a Priority Date each Spring semester for which you should aim in order to have the most possibilities for aid available to you. Check with your "home" university to confirm the Priority Date and for other details. However, if you are not beginning in the Fall semester or did not apply by the Priority Date for some other reason, you can still complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to seek financial aid during that academic year.

Q: What happens if I decide to take a class from one of the other partner universities?
A: One of the advantages of being a student of LSC-University Center is the financial aid consortium in which all of the partner universities have agreed to participate. The ""home"" university, in this case, the partner university or Lone Star College System, where you are enrolled in the most hours, awards financial aid based on information sent from the "host" university, the school from which you are taking support courses. Please see a staff member of the Student Services Office for assistance with the process if this situation applies to you.

Q: Which institution's financial aid policy do I follow?
A: You must meet all of your "home" university's requirements to be eligible.

Q: How do I apply for scholarships?
A: Each of the universities has its own scholarship procedure, please contact the Student Services Office at LSC-University Center or the Financial Aid Office at your "home" university for details on how to apply for scholarships. Many of the partner universities have transfer scholarships. Other departments within the university may also have additional scholarships, like scholarships for students in your major or area of interest.

Q: What is the Hope Scholarship? Does it apply to students at LSC-University Center?
A: The Hope Scholarship is actually a tax credit available to eligible students during their first two years of postsecondary education. The credit will apply to LSC-University Center students who are in their first two years of secondary education, enrolled in at least six hours and are free of a Federal or State felony offense consisting of the possession or distribution of a controlled substance.

Q: What happens if I can't make my payment and/or I was not awarded financial aid?
A: There are options for students, such as short-term or emergency loans. Please ask your "home" university financial aid office or see a staff member in the Student Services Office at LSC-University Center for guidance. Nevertheless, students are still responsible for timely payment of tuition and fees or they may be dropped from their classes. Please note that if you are awarded some financial aid that covers even a minimum amount of your payment due (according to each university's policies) and decide not to begin your classes that semester, you will likely have to complete a withdrawal process or still owe the university.

Q: What happens if I change the number of hours I am enrolled or need to withdraw?
A: Your financial aid award is based on your expected enrollment. If you add or drop classes and that changes the number of hours in which you are enrolled or if you need to withdraw from all of your classes, contact your ""home"" university financial aid office immediately.