Powerful Women in Texas and Beyond: The Struggle for Women’s Rights - LSC-CyFair
September 8-October 6, 2015
Exhibit on Library First Floor:
Citizens at Last: The Woman Suffrage Movement in Texas - from Humanities Texas
- September 9 at 10:00 a.m. in LRNC 131 - Early 20th Century Women Activists in the Houston/Galveston Area - Discussion with LSC-CyFair Professor Tom Kelly
- September 14 at 6:00 p.m. in the Teen Room – Screen-Play Film: Akeelah and the Bee (ages 10-18 - no limit)
- September 16 at 10:00 a.m. in LRNC 131 – Recruiting Members and Lobbying for Support: Texas Woman Suffrage in the Nation and the World with Dr. Jessica Brannon-Wranosky (TAMU-Commerce)
- September 16 at 6:30 p.m. in Kids’ Corner – Tween Book Club discusses Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
- September 17 at 1:00 p.m. in LRNC 215 – Books without Borders - Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi facilitated by Rachel Renick
- September 18 at 1:00 p.m. in the Teen Room – Homeschool Book Club – A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
- September 20 at 2:00 p.m. in the Teen Room - Classic Book Club – A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
- September 23 at 7:00 p.m. in the Main Stage Theatre (ARTS Building) – Texas Women: Documenting History presentation with Dr. Stephanie Cole (UT-Arlington). Book signing of Texas Women: Their Histories, Their Lives in the lobby follows the talk. View a Dallas Morning News review of Cole's book.
- September 30 at 12:30 p.m. in LRNC 131 - Up to the Challenge: Women in the Halls of Power - Panel Discussion with Professors Heidi Jo Green, James Seymour, and Patricia Gray (former Texas legislator)
- Take a Selfie with a Texas Suffragette!
- Stand Up for What's Important to You! - Register to Vote
- Women Get the Vote Online Quiz
Citizens at Last: The Woman Suffrage Movement in Texas is sponsored by Humanities Texas.
Thank you to the LSC-CyFair Center for Civic Engagement for their support of these events!
Women's Suffrage Photo DetailsIn 1915 Baylor University women in Waco, Texas organized a suffrage club and "beat the drum" in campus parades. Courtesy The Texas Collection, Baylor University, Waco, Texas. Image courtesy of The Campus Camera, Baylor University, 31 April 1915, vol. 1,3. The Texas Collection, Baylor University, Waco, Texas.
See more photos and history in the exhibit on the library's first floor, beginning September 8.